When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chrono burn-in

jkerouac

Thank goodness I'm a newbie again so I can ask basic questions guilt free.

I just received an IWC GST chrono from Joshua, and he recommends this burn-in process:

Wind up the watch and Keep the watch running... run short sperts of chrono once every couple of days to pull in the lub..... Always remember for all chronograph watches gen or fake, move the hands to 4.30pm to do quickset date/day... At this position, the gears are free from each other.

Even after a month, you should treat the chronos with care, use it tactfully... and run it every other day for a couple of minutes..you should be fine..

I generally assume that the most vulnerable parts of a rep chrono are the pushers. But on my other chronos (a Venus Speedmaster and a Venus Pan 192), I just let them run. I love watching the big sweeper and subdials run. I use the reset functions when I actually want to time something, which is rare (once a month, perhaps). Otherwise I let them run. I mean, what's the point of having extra hands if you almost never see them in action?

I'm going to follow Joshua's advice for the first 30 days or so. But after that, I don't know. So here are my questions:

1) Do you follow burn-in periods on your chronos?

2) After the burn-in period, do you use your chronos sparingly, or do you simply let them run?

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.

Thank goodness I'm a newbie again so I can ask basic questions guilt free.

I just received an IWC GST chrono from Joshua, and he recommends this burn-in process:

1) Do you follow burn-in periods on your chronos?

2) After the burn-in period, do you use your chronos sparingly, or do you simply let them run?

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.

Even though I am not considering myself as "mechanical watch" expert (.. so it will be better to have a The Zigmeister type of person answering this), yes ....I do use the "burning process" for my chrono watches.

This is most valid for the 7750 movements (like the IWC you just got ... and some Panerais).

A- I let the watch to run for a week without using the chronos

B- I use the chronos after this first week (if wrong, the watch goes back to the dealer <_< )

C- After this first week , I use the chronos occasionaly but I make sure that the watch was running for at least 8 hours before I use them (... maybe this last precaution is not really necessary).

I do not use any "burning process" on Venus movemnts. This movement is very reliable and strong as a horse. I never had a problem with any of my Venus movement watches.

Hope I helped