When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

219, crown broken.

hambone

Has anyone had their 219, 005, 0r 177 from the new HBB factory, found that the crown disengages, and will not reingage, causing the watch to stop functioning? My 219 from Trusty has..

This morning I was winding it and when I pushed the crown back in along with the lever guard, it was stuck in the time set mode. I cannot wind it as the hands spin around.I tried to gently press the winder into the case, with no luck. It ticks but will not run. This is a new one for me after 5 years of collecting. If anyone has a fix, please let me know. Sending back to China is not what I want to do. Thanks in advance,:black_eye:

BTW this post has nothing to do with Humpty Dumpty, All the Kings Horses, or all the Kings men, who might consider putting Humpty together again.

I merely want to fix my 219 Pam with an asian 6497. For a 275.00 expense, am I asking to much? Guess I have been lucky so far.:wounded1:

I would check if the screw that holds the stem in was been turned to release mode.

UT6497.jpg

near the stem there is a small screw above the winding gear. See if the crown and stem pull out entirely. if it does, put it back in and screw down the tiny screw until you cant pull the stem out.

Thank you Farmer. Your explanation makes sense. Should I remove the crown guard to accomplish this?

Has anyone had their 219, 005, 0r 177 from the new HBB factory, found that the crown disengages, and will not reingage, causing the watch to stop functioning? My 219 from Trusty has..

This morning I was winding it and when I pushed the crown back in along with the lever guard, it was stuck in the time set mode. I cannot wind it as the hands spin around.I tried to gently press the winder into the case, with no luck. It ticks but will not run. This is a new one for me after 5 years of collecting. If anyone has a fix, please let me know. Sending back to China is not what I want to do. Thanks in advance,:black_eye:

Hi, this exact thing happened to my 005 from Josh after around 3 days. I took it into my local watch maker a week ago and he said it didn't need a whole new movement and just needed a couple of new small parts as they had broken. Only $50 with fitting, but I'm still waiting delivery of these parts (and we're not 100% that he can get the parts from the EU disty that will work with the asian 6497 version of the movement). What was the outcome of yours?

My back up is just getting a whole new movement installed, which I prefer to sending it back (out of stock anyway). It would be less than $100 either way for me and considering the quality of the watch I'm not too bitter about the situation.

Edited by d1ngle

This is not a problem generaly, it is nothing more than a keyless works problem, if the screw has come a littlew loose then the groove on the stem can pull past the retaining pin on the setting lever, you may be able to reset it buy removing the CG for more control unscrew the stem retianing screw another half turn but the crown to what should be the hand setting position, tighten the screw and it should reset the pin in the grove on the stem. It just takes a bit of feeling.

The problem here is caused by the srew loosening off every time you pull the crown, if you look at that retaining screw on the back as you open and close the crown you may some times see it turn back and forth but if it only turns when you push the crown in then it may be loosening its self.

• 1 month later...

I just got around to fixing this and due to Farmers diagnosis, I was able to repair the watch myself rather easily. I took the crown guard off, which actually was not

needed, as unscrewing the back with a ball of duct tape, gave access to the small screw that engages the winding mechanism. It works perfectly now. No watchsmith

needed, Thanks to the RWG community for the help.:good: