When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Will Buy A 1680 Again...

manuel

Hi, I had a mbw red 1680. I really liked it, but it needed mods, and I hadnt enough patiente, so I traded the watch to repaustria, and I got his beautiful franken 15000 instead:

129278-19688.jpg

The mbw 1680 i got came from luckyyy. Damn, i was lucky!

I asked for the 1680 white letter, but i got the red one instead of the white one.

Now I want to buy another 1680, because its the most beautiful reps I have owned so far.

Looking at tribal posts I realised how much i loved this watch. But there are some points wich I am afraid of.

-The lugholes: the lugholes that come with the mbw are very small. I read here how to drill them, but I am afraid of ruining the whole watch. I would like to know how do people hold the watch and ovoid the watch to move during this very delicate process. Also do I do have to get away the movement and crystal during the drilling porcess?

-The dial: the dial in the mbw has no lume at all and seems to new for such a vintage watch.

I read a post about luming the dial with a toothpick. I will approach to imitate that mod too.

-genuine tropic 127 change: I once bought a tropic 127. However despite being genuine, it stilll had a little bevelled edges. Now I want the crystal flat. I will have to get a good tropic source. any idea?

-the crown guards: A lot of info has been said about the crown guards. The crownguards that come with the 1680 are a bit fat. They need to be hand trimmed. And then hand polished to achieve a better result.

I dont have a lot of time to perform this operations. At this moment I dont know if buying all the needed tools, or send the watch to a modder. I am really afraid about the lugholes issue.

I know that people here can spend a lot modding his watches. I am thinking about selling the franken 15000 to fund the tools or parts I will need. Anybody interested?

Another rolex watch I find interesting is the DW 6263. I want a chrono. But I dont have the slightest idea of about how the DW case kit retails for. Can anybody enlight me? I hope his case kits wont be as expensive as the cases offered at ebay. Also I know I can source a veljoux 72 for about 400 euros, but it will need to be serviced. So add 100 euros more...

Well, I have yet to see the new hublot big bang trusty has announced. He told us to save hard.

Maybe this would be a better option to the chrono I am looking for.

Among other things, I have to say that I will upgrade my member status by tomorrow.

That would be a big improvement too. Regards,

Manuel