When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little help for a noob

tlaias

Hi everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to this obsession, and this site, and I'm trying to educate myself by reading as much as I can in these forums. But I could use a little help from my more experienced fellow members about a rather basic issue that has me a bit stymied:

I gather, from comments that I've read here, that most replicas come from a couple of central sources and are drop-shipped for most dealers. That would seem to mean that most dealers carry pretty much the same reps. Am I right about that, or have I completely misundestood the gist of what I've been reading?

If I am right, then why is it that a particular model will pe priced at $128 at, let's say, Watcheden and cost twice as much (or more) at another site? That would seem to imply that reps come in varying qualities.

To further complicate the issue (for me at least), when I read Josh's loving, painstaking, mad scientist-like descriptions of the products featured on Perfect Clones, it becomes obvious that not all reps are created equal. So what's the real story here? Can someone please fill-in the missing pieces of the puzzle for me?

On a closing note, let me just say that it's exciting, and a little disconcerting, how quickly I've succumbed to this passion.

By the awesome number of posting I have, you can tell I am relatively new as well.

Well here goes.

1. Some do and some don't. I think it's fair to assume the dealers sending out Q.C. (quality control) photos are handling each watch before being shipped.

2. With all components being the same, I would use Bloomingdale's and Macy's as an example. A sweater from same manufacturer sells for $250.00 at one store and $75.00 at the other.

3. Replicas have varying the degrees of exactness (gen like vs. fantasy) different types of movement: quartz, 21J, eta vs. Asian, etc. etc.

Best answers I have, but I am sure some one much more knowledgeable will be along to add more info and correct any inaccuracies of mine.

Edited by surfer2278

Welcome :thumbsupsmileyanim: feel free to ask questions, the new guy answered these very well.

Specific to WatchEden .. let me just say that they specialize in budget replicas. Normally price differences among one kind of replica are attributable to what kind of movement is in them but then you can also be simply looking at a budget version of a specific replica, and then you have to look for the quality differences.

Edited by Jkay

Guest Carl

Welcome!

Surfer did a good job responding to your post.

I'm only going to add that you will have to get your feet wet sooner or later, and there is always some level of chance or risk in each transaction. You are the only one who can find that level.

If you want to run with the Big Dogs here (I'm not one of them) you will have to get off the porch. That could mean a lot of time and money.

But there seems to be room for a variety of watches, approaches, and members here so your chance for some fun is good.

Carl