When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need a little push in the right direction

Hope you can stop me going insane :)

I need to broach a minute hand from 0.90 to 1.00, so I need to buy a needle file yes ?

Is the act of broaching thining the wall of the hand tube, as these hands look mighty thin to start with. Or is it just widening the collar?

Any way as to how you broach using a file, is the chosen file tapered to the width you need so it gradually gets to the correct size ?

Next thing on my mind is rodico, on a dial do you just use it like a eraser on a pencil drawing to remove prints and dust or it it more delicate ?

Any hints tips and general help is most appreciated and greatly received.

Thanks.

I would recommend you speak with Offshore about a broaching kit. It would have the files you will need as well as a broaching vise which is very helpful/essential in helping to hold the hand in place while you gingerly open up the tube. And yes, you are opening up the thin wall of the tube.

Here's a pic of the broaching vise:

imageMain_0_8.jpg

As for rodico, I use it with peg wood. It's basically just a round wooden stick that I press some rodico around the end of. I use it very lightly, like I am using a paint brush on the dial and just pull it towards me across the finger print or dirt that is on the dial. I have never tried using it like a "pencil eraser". I don't imagine that would be great for the dial.

A hand broach vise is nice to have but not needed. You will need a broach, not a needle file. You can buy typical broach set that has many sizes. Unlike a file, a broach cuts on the intersecting faces. Typically they are hexagon in shape and taper. As you roll the broach between your fingers, it cuts. Getting the hand sized right is more feel and not so much mechanical.

Go slow and take your time. You can very easily remove too much material..