When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help! crowm does not screw down

Xding

Hi guys,

Need your advice. I have a concepta top gun with gen movement for about 3 months. The crown does not screw down smoothly. But today it can not screw down at all. It is like the screw which is supposed to hold the crown has worn out. You push the crown and screw it down, the crown just bumps out again. The movement is running though. Can anybody tell me what is wrong and is it an easy fix without touch the movement? Thank you very much!

X,

I saw your post on another forum, and I thought I would post the same here. It seems this problem happens frequently, as people have been asking me to source IWC crownsets to fix it.

The problem is that the rep tube is too long, and I doubt that the titanium for the crown is not the best quality. As a result, they have been stripping. It seems like the Breitling Titanium Avengers had a similar problem.

In a metal case, if the gen tube is too big, you drill out the hole to fit the tube. Then you glue and press the tube in.

You cannot machine it ... or I have not found anyone to do this.

The guys who had this problem returned their watches to the dealer for a replacement.

I have asked a dealer to send me a caseset, and I have ordered a crown set. Until I can confirm this, I cannot recommend an IWC replacement.

It would be nice if someone else had better news!

Mike

Generally speaking I have had this problem with a number of rep IWC crowns and crown tubes. On the reps I find the inner threads on the crown are what go first. Most of the IWC crowns (rep or gen)have threads hidden in the crown itself. If you can clearly see the threads on the crown tube are intact I would guess the crown is your problem. I don't know your exact set-up but generally I insist on a gen case tube for a gen crown to ensure proper fitment. The only exception is Rolex where aftermarket parts makers actually make a replacement case tube designed to work with the gen crown. Even when you can force a gen crown on a rep crown tube one or the other will often fail as the threading will not match up. It may match up close enough for you to jam it on but ....