When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 Movement

pwygant

Greetings,

I have been around now for the last year or so with about 10 reps to my name. I don't quite consider myself a newbie anymore but very far from modding and movement disassembly/repair. I can do some of the easier DIY things but definately nothing extremely difficult.

I have plenty of Swiss ETA's and 21J which run great and keeps great time. I have owned 2 Panerai watches in the past, both with the asian 7750. All of them run so dang fast? Most mechanical watches I have run +- a minute or so per day which is accepatble to me. I sold both of the 7750 and stuck with the handwind 111H which runs great.

The other day I got a 212 for a friend of mine and it also runs about 5-6 minutes fast per day. Does the 7750 have a "slow down" screw like most other mechanical watches? I can open the back case easily but I have no clue what to look for in a 7750. Should I venture into this or should I go ahead and send it away to The Zigmeister!

//Cheers

It could be a number of reasons why they run fast. Since most every 7750 I see is dry (no oil) and on 90% the balance cap jewels are also dry, I think there are a couple of reasons why they are running fast...

1. More friction in a watch will make it run faster, what happens is the friction does not allow the balance wheel to swing out as far as it should, shorter swings = faster swings... Once the watch is clean and oiled, the watch slows down because the balance swings out like it should.

2. Beat and rate adjustment. On most of these models, the beat and rate are out of adjustment, combined with no oil, the watch can run faster, sometimes it can run slower.

It takes time and skill and up to 6 lubricants to oil a watch...time and skill cost money so this is probably why most movements are shipped with very little to no oil...

RG

It takes time and skill and up to 6 lubricants to oil a watch...time and skill cost money so this is probably why most movements are shipped with very little to no oil...

If I understand your other post that describes your services, this type of proper lubrication and adjustment job requires the full servicing (disassembly, cleaning, reassembly with proper lubrication, and adjustment) that is around $200 USD. Is that accurate?

And then I think you are saying that the new version Asian 7750 chrono can be a real good movement, right?

Thanks!