When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Versions - Trying To Make Sense Of It All

PPN

So I was interested in Hublot recently, since I saw all these great pictures of it on the forums. The one that caught my eye was the SS case with ceramic bezel. But I couldn't seem to make sense of all the versions. From what I can tell there seem to be two main versions of it:

- one version that costs about $500

- one versions, the "evolution" that costs about $400 (seems strange why a more accurate version would cost less)

But reading through the threads, I found that there is another version people are referring to, called the "v6"? And some websites even have a "v7"!

It looks like there is only one gen version, 301.SM.1770.RX - which is the most accurate replica of it?

Can someone please help educate me? Thanks.

I am not sure anyone knows where to begin. I have tried to keep up with all the various versions from a reading perspective and have even owned a couple and can't answer the question. V1 vs. V1.5 vs V6 vs V7. The headline is that none are perfect (of course) and it is all about what your priorities are: dial, movement, case back, etc. My guess (and it is a guess) is the latest is the best in terms of movement aesthetics, crystal, date wheel font and strap but the CF dial has a crappy date cut out. So if you are trying to own one and are not planning on doing a bunch of mods than go with the latest offering.

I am not sure anyone knows where to begin. I have tried to keep up with all the various versions from a reading perspective and have even owned a couple and can't answer the question. V1 vs. V1.5 vs V6 vs V7. The headline is that none are perfect (of course) and it is all about what your priorities are: dial, movement, case back, etc. My guess (and it is a guess) is the latest is the best in terms of movement aesthetics, crystal, date wheel font and strap but the CF dial has a crappy date cut out. So if you are trying to own one and are not planning on doing a bunch of mods than go with the latest offering.

Thanks, buddy. Actually, I did read that the latest v6 is the best version...which was strange since it is actually less costly than the previous version. I think this version is up for rep of the year nomination.

By the way, I tried on the gen the other day, and the datewheel cut out was surprisingly as crude as the reps.

• 2 weeks later...

Before explaininh the whole V1-V7 chaos, just post a pic of the watch you like and we then discuss this one....

It is a good idea. The whole thing is so confusing because when you start looking at older versions people add "genuine" kyocera bezels, Mikey ti screws, somebody's crystal, blah blah's gummy strap etc. to make the earlier versions anywhere near as good as later ones. Then you have to factor in Lites which are half the price and have some real improvements but I am sure there are drawbacks. To be honest, it got so confusing after the first couple of versions I gave up and other than a random ABB which I have no idea whether it is any good (but was expensive) and a first gen Mellow Yellow where I actually incorporated the first Swiss movement and then sold I have never done anything since.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good idea. The whole thing is so confusing because when you start looking at older versions people add "genuine" kyocera bezels, Mikey ti screws, somebody's crystal, blah blah's gummy strap etc. to make the earlier versions anywhere near as good as later ones. Then you have to factor in Lites which are half the price and have some real improvements but I am sure there are drawbacks. To be honest, it got so confusing after the first couple of versions I gave up and other than a random ABB which I have no idea whether it is any good (but was expensive) and a first gen Mellow Yellow where I actually incorporated the first Swiss movement and then sold I have never done anything since.

Right. It's just too confusing.

So which is the best version to get?

And is "evolution" a gen nomenclature, or a rep nickname?

Right. It's just too confusing.

So which is the best version to get?

And is "evolution" a gen nomenclature, or a rep nickname?

I think the evolution is another design of the HBB Bigbang. Instead of having numbers on the dial it has just the pin-markers. Kinda crappy explanation, but I hope you understand.