When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

not impressed with the service of my sub

horologist

Hi folks,

I have a blue submariner given to me as a gift from a deceased family member which I believe was purchased from Aspire ( a collector that no longer exists which she found on these forum ). I have three other good pieces which were obtained from sources found on these forums, however, that blue sub will always be special to me and it has been a great beater with accurate time being on my wrist every day .

Recently, I had it seviced from a semi retired watchmaker who my dad has known for many years and although he got it running perectly again as it always has (eta 2836 mvt), I am not impressed with the fact that he replaced the datewheel with the thinner original ones that come with those eta mvts found in most other brands. It stands out with a huge cavity in the date slot. The other thing is that the dial is peeling around the edges and this did not happen in all the time I have had it. Worse still it fogs up under the glass when I sweat. I know he meant well and his main idea was to get it going, so I do not want to cause a rif between my dad and him as they are old friends. However, I am not happy with the outcome. Yes, the old story that it is a knock off etc, but this was no ordinary replica. I would at least like to replace the dial and the datewheel ( which I still have) but most local watchmakers prefer not to mess up with replicas which gave me little option but to go to this old guy in the first place. Any ideas or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading to my lamenting.

Regards to all