When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe Nautilus Question?

vikkyrob

I have just bought the new Patek Philippe Nautilus Ultimate with the SW200 movement. The watch is very good from the front but the extra hole on the bracelet is a real shame. Can the top link be removed and the next link down be moved up in its place? I have added a few photos from Gran's excellent review of this watch below.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1310/replicag.jpg

Many thanks

Rob

Good question. The short answer is no, since the top few links do not have screws which would allow you to remove individual links from the top. Even if it was possible, by destructively cutting away the top link, you would still be left with a link which is 2mm narrower than the original top link, which would make for a rather obvious gap where the watch head and bracelet meet. I wouldn't do it if I was you.

If you're really looking for the ultimate Nautilus replica, then you should do what I'm contemplating: a hybrid of the 1:1 cartel version with the MBK Nautilus. Case set from the MBK, and and dial and datewheel overlay from the 1:1. Potential issues: thickness of the movement (2824-2 (SW200-1) vs 2836-2)?

So can I just buy a MBK Nautilus bracelet and fit it to this Nautilus without issue? If so who sells these bracelets and for how much?

Cheers

Rob

I'm not sure if it's possible to just swap over the bracelet, since there is apparently some difference in the construction.

Another possibility is to see if some solder to cover up the holes, followed up by some sanding and polishing does the trick. The main issue is probably the color match between the steel and the solder, but one could probably try this on a spare link to see how good the end result is.

I am wearing my Nautilus right now and I have to say that the extra hole does not bother me that much. On close inspection the sticker on the rotor is the bigger tell is it not?

I think the entire displayed movement is a big tell, if you're going to examine the rotor enough to note that the Calatrava cross is a sticker.

I think the entire displayed movement is a big tell, if you're going to examine the rotor enough to note that the Calatrava cross is a sticker.

Oh! I've not seen a gen 5711 in the flesh, but on Patek's web site the images show a clear caseback...

http://www.patek.com/patek-philippe.html?pageId=44565&backgroundId=3&lang=en&

were you thinking of the 5120?