When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 116520 Rep vs Gen

Guest Sql_pl

I was out with some of my friends yesterday and managed to take these two LITERALLY dirty pics showing a rep vs gen comparison. Sorry for quality but it was almost midnight, pics taken in a pub with just an iphone. Will take some better ones soon.

I have to say I was seriously impressed with the dial, great job from our CN friends!

daytony1.jpg

daytony2.jpg

Gen is definitely on the left. By-Tor wrote the definitive review of the 116520 & the dials have been top-notch for quite some time (to the point where I have twice refused amazing deals on gen dials because they were not sufficiently better than my rep's to warrant the time it would take to swap them :) ). Unfortunately, they have a way to go on their cases.

I have twice refused amazing deals on gen dials because they were not sufficiently better than my rep's to warrant the time it would take to swap them

I bought a gen white dial to put in my old 116520 rep and it turned out the main pinion of the 7750 is too thick to go through the hole in a gen dial. So I guess it is good they have pretty good dials from the factory as swapping for gen is out of question.

Gen on left the angle of the bezel is still noticeable (but not much), CG's and crown..,,

You are right. Bezel is still the most obvious tell.

Here some additional pics of my gen, see how flat this bezel is:

22534464.jpg

76849808.jpg

To my eye, the relative height of the crystal (above the plane of the bezel) is always the give-away. If you are fortunate to have 1 of the low-profile rep cases, the difference is minimal & it is doubtful that the average gen owner or collector could ID it as a rep without close inspection. And, even then, it may pass

casecomparisons0041.jpg~original.jpg

casecomparisons0121.jpg~original.jpg

i wonder if it would be possible to buy a WSO aftermarket bezel and mount this to the 116520 rep ?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-ROLEX-DAYTONA-ZENITH-16520-ST-STEEL-/310304840317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f9c1a7d

Anyone has experience with something like that ?to me important would be that

a) the wso bezel fits the rep case

B) the wso bezel is flatter than the rep bezel

anyone ?

Edited by Eiderdaus