When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chrono Second Wheel - Help

zzipy

I got the bug to play with watches movement. Long story, end result I mess up my beloved A7750 panda ebel and am luck enough to find a proper watchsmith, he is not cheap :(

While working on my A7750 Ebel, I messed up my Chrono Second Hand Wheel - this is the stem that rises from chrono mechanism to move the large chrono second hand. I take it to the watchsmith and he replaces it with the Chrono Second wheel from the 2 movements I have been practicing on and I am thinking problem solved. NOPE, the barrel (tube) from the movements I have used for donors is smaller that the Second hand opening, with the result the second hand never sets back to 12 when we reset the chrono. It goes willy-nilly where it wants. He has even tried to see if ETA is compatible, it is not.

What are my options, I love my Ebel Panda and want it back to its glory and I swear never to even open the caseback of a A7750.

thx

Lesson learned...you really do have to know what you are doing when It comes to working on movements...especially chrono movements,,,7750 etc.

I suggest you try to contact one of the watchmakes/mods here...tell them your problem...and wait for a reply.

Best of luck. :)

Mike

It is entirely possible that the chrono hand tube has "opened up" as a result of you pulling the hand off of the movement. A capable watch maker should be able to determine that and have the tools necessary to close the tube down. If that is not the case, then I am also pretty certain that the A7750 and swiss ETA 7750 do not have compatible hand sizes (I could be totally wrong on that one, but I seem to recall hearing that somewhere).

Where are you located? Perhaps we can suggest a watchsmith for you.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply. Work gets in the way :(

The watchsmith I am working with is pretty competent and showed me the part. It is in bad condition. I have also ordered a pair of hands as I scratched mine pretty bad but our trusted dealers can't source just the chrono second wheel with the tube. I would need someone to donate/sell the chrono second wheel if they have one and hope it fits.

I am in Washington,DC area and open to a second opinion if someone can recommend a trusted watchsmith.