When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate PO Gen Crown & Tube Upgrade BUT !

natval

Guys,

Just carried out the Gen Tube and Crown upgrade to my Stripped Ultimate PO

But although the Crown screws down tight and everything work fine, it unscrews it self !!

any one had this happen ??

Is it faulty threads ? or maybe the compressed o ring seal forcing it to unscrew itself ?

Any ideas ? any advice would be gratefully received

thanks for the replys,

the tube is stuck fast, the crown tightens down on it each time

but springs back on its self and unwinds,

might try a bit of loctite down the tube on the threads to see if that holds it

might try a bit of loctite down the tube on the threads to see if that holds it

your gonna superglue your crown onto its tube?? if that sticks the threads fast how would you un-screw the crown to set time/date etc?? is your stem the right length? if its abit long or jamming on somthing in the movement/not lineing up straight, perhaps its twisting the stem inside the crown-then untwisting itself causing the stem to unscrew at the same time??

never heard of a crown unscrewing itself though! may want to call in an exorcist if all else fails....

Ahhh right! Thought you ment loctite superglue then! Threadlock may work, I use it on my bike pedals...maybe a bit overkill for the watch though. Can you actually see the crown unscrew? Like does it happen fast or over a certain length of time?

I can sort of believe the stem may be a tad too long...and is somehow working it's way back out against maybe the tension of the mainspring or somehow the rotor rotation is helping to cause this (too long would have it in the winding position all the time)....but it's been my experince with a stem being that much too long it would jam up the mvt. and quit working within a few minutes tops. This is interesting and I'm looking forward to hearing the definate cause of this issue............................................

thanks for the input Guys,

it starts to spring back on itself, about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn strainght away, and then slowly seems to unwind the rest of the way, athough it tightens down it will not stay tight

gonna strip it down and have a closer look,i will get another crown and tube from cousins just incase

if stem is a tad short perhaps its screwing right down too much onto the little rubber o-ring inside the crown, the o-ring being compressed too much and slightly wound could start to return to its normal shape and position taking the crown with it...quick at first then abit slower...i dont think that would unwind it the whole way though, just a half or full turn at most.

try removing the movement from the case, then screw the crown into position...if it still happens its the crown and tube-if it doesnt and stays tight its probs something with the movement...

You need to take it apart and check the tube. It is definitely the tube. You probably didn't use thread-lock which is a must with these pieces. Getting the crown out from the tube may be difficult... do not try to force it or you may damage something.

If you can not fix it, SEND IT TO A MODDER HERE and bite the bullet.

Best of luck!