When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari dial modification

greekgod

`Guys,

I am trying to "franken" my safari and had a thought about getting the rep dial modified so as to make it look more gen like. Would it be possible to get the Silver outline on the numerals just as the gen has if I was to give my dial to someone who did that sort of thing? Would this process interfere/damage the surroundings of the dial .. and more so what is this process called?

I suspect it will be difficult to find someone to do it because ultimately it is going to require a heck of a lot of hand painting and the marker outline is actually polished metallic if I am not mistaken. I have had black outline dials repaired for select numbers or markers on olf dials but that was a tedious job. I would guess (and it is a guess) that you would likely have to relume as well. But perhaps someone has actually tried it.

I suspect it will be difficult to find someone to do it because ultimately it is going to require a heck of a lot of hand painting and the marker outline is actually polished metallic if I am not mistaken. I have had black outline dials repaired for select numbers or markers on olf dials but that was a tedious job. I would guess (and it is a guess) that you would likely have to relume as well. But perhaps someone has actually tried it.

Oh so it has to be a hand painting job, if so would it be silver paint or some sort of chrome thing ? Sorry W could you plz expalin what is an olf dial? ( or was that a typo for 'old').

Also I dont think my Safari has any lume at all! Sorry to be vague here W .. cheers and thx for the responce

Yes, I meant to say old. If Jarpo has a person who will do it reach out to that person. I have always wondered what they use for the metalic shine. I would be curious to know whether Fleed had to do a relume (repaint if it isn't lume) or whether you can repaint the edge without ruing the black on the markers.

My safari dial (and others) have this mod. It was done by a lume expert in Spain. I think he posted it a while ago... (repgeek maybe?)

Fleed did that job.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

Care to post some pics of that mod? Would be great. :)

EDIT: Found the thread on RG, pictures do not work. Bumped it and asked for pics. Let's hope it's good!

Edited by Fleet

My safari dial (and others) have this mod. It was done by a lume expert in Spain. I think he posted it a while ago... (repgeek maybe?)

Fleed did that job.

Thx for the info .. thats great mate... Ill have a look

Care to post some pics of that mod? Would be great. :)

EDIT: Found the thread on RG, pictures do not work. Bumped it and asked for pics. Let's hope it's good!

Looks like Fleed might have two customers already eh Fleet?

Fleed made the job, yes, to me and to Jarpo too... but he just "scratched" the paint of the borders, he didnt paint any... but he is a master so the result is superb.

Ah yes aanival .. I read all the threads mate , I know it was your watch he did it on... unfortunately I cant see the pictures as the link is broken..any chance I could see a picture? Also does that mean the above picture I posted it of your watch? Sorry if I did not ask you before posting.. ( i can remove it if you wish) ...

But indeed he did a great job , as every one says so... I wish he could do it for me !

It looks good but it's not ok.

The outline should be silver and not gold.

If I look at this picture, the paint is removed and now it show's the brass dial.

OK had a look the pictures dont work but I think I managed to see one of then. Assuming this is the finished product.

apbl5-1.jpg

what do you guys think. I think its beautiful. I really want to get this mod.

Hi, as aanival commented there's no painting in this mod. It consists in removing the white layer.

I suggest anyone interested in this mod should contact fleed for details as I'm not sure he is doing it for others at the moment.

Here a couple more pictures I had saved.

3e3904e7-33ea-fd71.jpg

3e3904e7-33f9-52a6.jpg

Sorry I have no nice pictures of my safari yet. As soon as I have I will post.

• 1 month later...