When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Credit Card skimmed - online purchases

r8247

my card got hit on the 22 for $397.37 I ordered the 243 from josh before then and that was 415. so definitely something fishy with that 397 and I disputed it

So I'm not the only one .....

I didn't want to call out the dealer, but since this does not appear to be an isolated incident. I'd like to confirm this is also whom I ordered from 2 days before my VISA got charged for unauthorized transactions.

Did this event occur after his site went down ?

That's exactly what happened to me. Payed. Went back to browse the site the next day. His site went down. Next thing I know my VISA got hit up for unauthorized charges from Paypal and Bell mobility.

Keep us posted .......

Edited by r8247

So I'm not the only one .....

I didn't want to call out the dealer, but since this does not appear to be an isolated incident. I'd like to confirm this is also whom I ordered from 2 days before my VISA got charged for unauthorized transactions.

Did this event occur after his site went down ?

That's exactly what happened to me. Payed. Went back to browse the site the next day. His site went down. Next thing I know my VISA got hit up for unauthorized charges from Paypal and Bell mobility.

Keep us posted .......

This charge was one of their Chinese trading company front names. It's different than Angus', Josh's , and trusty. Could be just another one of their fronts. Who knows

paypal is the safest in terms of protection of cc data as the seller never has access to your details at any point (the same applies to other e-wallets if accepted by the td). of course it doesn't mean that you are protected if there are problems with goods, etc.

the next safest is a payment process that redirects to a well known payment provider (worldpay, secpay, sagepay, etc). in this instance a major (secure) payment authoriser processes the payments. the td will have access to some or all of your card details via the providers admin system to authorise refunds, etc. this could be abused, but is not likely when the dealer is trusted.

the least safe is an integrated payment system, in this instance the payment takes place on the td's website and is authorised behind the scenes with a payment gateway. this is the smoothest transaction experience for the customer, but it's least secure as it depends on the security of the td's web site (far less than a dedicated payment gateway) and in some instances your card details will be stored on the td's web server. for a hacker compromising a server like this is far easier than hitting a major provider.

Edited by benk