When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica seamaster swop for a gen pre-moonwatch

aeromatic

One guys trash is another guys treasure! when my friend Andy (watchmaker) called me to say guess what a guy as brought in to his shop my reply was a moonwatch? then my friend said yes how did you know? my reply was man you are joking!

Anyway the guy wanted to offload this gem or sell it, i made a crazy offer would he like to swop for a replica seamaster couldent believe that he would accept so my 300usd rep became his and the speedy was now mine!

the watch at first glance seemed in bad shape the strap is very raggety and stretched the crystal was so scratched

that you couldent see the dial the case has some dents and scratches but it is over 43 years old

the movement is in excellent condition and very clean but will get a full service everything works but one of the push buttons is missing

i started with cleaning the watch which was covered in gunge (grease) then carefully rubbed the case with fine wet n dry paper then polished the crystal apart from a couple of airline cracks it came out ok

do any members know where i could get a new pusher button please let me know also im looking for an o-ring set

and a better bracelet this watch is fitted with the 1039 bracelet thank you in advance Aeromatic! oh almost forgot can any member please let me know which parts of the watch should be brushed and polished?

post-27094-0-82385200-1324756848.jpg

post-27094-0-40601200-1324756926.jpg

post-27094-0-92897100-1324757050.jpg

post-27094-0-57048300-1324757166.jpg

post-27094-0-52849700-1324757344.jpg

post-27094-0-22616200-1324757404.jpg

post-27094-0-77336200-1324757501.jpg

post-27094-0-96742200-1324757614.jpg

For me this is what the speedmaster moon watch is all about ! and also its connections with space!

post-27094-0-71157700-1324765795.jpg

post-27094-0-62753500-1324765920.jpg

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks i would like to keep the watch as original as possible if i cant find a replacement bracelet then i was thinking about a black lousiana alligator strap i will also order a nasa replica strap for summer use as i will be wearing this watch regularly i will try and replace the crystal and insert of course i will keep the original items the watch seems to have all original parts missing is the bracelet adjusting mechanisum

oh my god that is a great deal. That is a pre-professional speedy even before they moved to the white hands. If you don't feel like spending the hundreds and waiting months to fix it up, I'll buy it from you for a good price with significant profit for you :)

Hi whitestripes im trying to find out exact date of manufacture the strap bucklet is stamped > 1 - 68

but from what i read on the internet it dates between 1962 and 65 (im not an expert on vintage omegas) but i have seen photos of speedys

which say are from 1962 with white stick hands so if its a 65 speedy was it fitted with later bracelet any advice from you omega experts would be appreciated are there any other ways to date the watch back case is stamped 2998-6 movement 321

I dont have it in mind at the moment to sell the moonwatch i have been looking for a mw for some time now i was looking for nasa backcase speedy but i will keep your offer to buy in mind! aeromatic!

Edited by aeromatic

well i have been sneaking off neglecting my guests today trying to improve the bracelet i tightened up the midlinks using a pair of plyers with cardboard taped to the jaws to avoid damaging further the midlinks all of the midlinks were stretched then i rubbed the bracelet with wet n dry paper to try and remove the deep scratches it looks a lot better now but 1039 bracelet on this second edition mw is not a very good quality this is 19mm not the 20mm of the later speedys i was thinking of fitting a JB champion bracelet as worn by nasa astronauts aldrin and armstong i have seen this for sale for 200usd expensive strap i notice that a lot of speedys are on black leather any advice would be apreciated!

Edited by aeromatic

If you do want to send it for repairs and service, can I suggest STS (Swiss Time Services) in UK. They are the official Omega service centre in the UK and the chief watchmaker is a guy called Simon. He is totally sympathetic to vintage pieces and can be trusted to not alter the integrity of an original watch. Talk to him about what you want done; more particularly what you don't want done.

I've sent you a PM and would be happy to advise - vintage Speedmasters are my 'thing'.

• Like 1

If you do want to send it for repairs and service, can I suggest STS (Swiss Time Services) in UK. They are the official Omega service centre in the UK and the chief watchmaker is a guy called Simon. He is totally sympathetic to vintage pieces and can be trusted to not alter the integrity of an original watch. Talk to him about what you want done; more particularly what you don't want done.

I've sent you a PM and would be happy to advise - vintage Speedmasters are my 'thing'.

Thank you PAMman i appreciate your advice i intend to keep the watch as original as possible i dont want to end up with a new looking watch! all i want to do is replace the missing push button even the bezel insert looks much better since i have cleaned the watch the insert i think is slightly out of line? does not line up at 12 oclock how can this be corrected also what would be the best way to send a watch for service im worried that the watch/ package could get damaged or worst. Edited by aeromatic

Thank you PAMman i appreciate your advice i intend to keep the watch as original as possible i dont want to end up with a new looking watch! all i want to do is replace the missing push button even the bezel insert looks much better since i have cleaned the watch the insert i think is slightly out of line? does not line up at 12 oclock how can this be corrected also what would be the best way to send a watch for service im worried that the watch/ package could get damaged or worst.

The inserts aren't removable and it is the whole bezel that's out of line. The only way to realign the bezel is to remove it completely and reposition it. However, don't try to pry it up as it may bend. There is a tool which grips it and lifts it evenly - a bit like a crystal press in reverse. Registered post would be my choice for delivery. However, I'm in the UK and I understand you're in Greece so maybe there would be a better alternative. I know another watch collector in Greece and I have had dealings with him. I could ask him for advice, although I have sent a number of watches back and forwards without incident.

The inserts aren't removable and it is the whole bezel that's out of line. The only way to realign the bezel is to remove it completely and reposition it. However, don't try to pry it up as it may bend. There is a tool which grips it and lifts it evenly - a bit like a crystal press in reverse. Registered post would be my choice for delivery. However, I'm in the UK and I understand you're in Greece so maybe there would be a better alternative. I know another watch collector in Greece and I have had dealings with him. I could ask him for advice, although I have sent a number of watches back and forwards without incident.

thanks for the advice i think i will leave the bezel for the time being im in cyprus not greece but i have a friend who is a watchmaker and does work on my submariners so my watch is a late 1962 speedmaster i will need help finding a replacement pusher for the watch 4mm diam for the 2998 321 cal speedmaster do you know of any suppliers for parts i wouldent think omega would be able to supply pushers Edited by aeromatic

I would like to thank member PAMman for his help and advice and for pointing out that the watch is a 1962-63 but the bracelet links/midlinks are not correct and the buckle is stamped 1/68 which suggests its from a later watch

do any members have any photos of the correct 2nd edition pre-profesional pre-moon bracelet i read that this bracelet was not very good and many watches had there bracelets swopped

Im looking for a replacement chrono pusher if anyone knows where i can get one its an early 4mm cap diameter pusher

Edited by aeromatic