When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Vs Rep movement

poretl

Rep.

That's a Swiss movement (you can tell by the shock protection in the balance wheel) with a bad Cote de Geneves engraving. The OEM should have an incabloc shock protection with a much finer CDG engraving. There's also lack of pearlage on the bottom plate and the Officine Panerai engraving should be thinner too.

Here's how the gen looks like. Very easy to tell.

3a.jpg

movementb2.jpg

movement4.jpg

movementc1.jpg

op2.jpg

10a.jpg

6.jpg

Thx! After I look at the pictures you posted you can indeed see that the rep one looks like cr4p overall. Just out of curiosity, is this rep one of the better reps or one of the worse? Have you personally ever seen a rep one that you looked at and had hard time identifying as a rep?

txcollector is the guy who can guide me then. I so much want a Pan 177 with the titanium case. Too bad it's a glass back. I want to fall in love with the watch, not lok at it and want to throw up. I know, I know. I should get the gen if this is what I want. Maybe not? In any case, I don't have the cash. OK, but to what I was going to ask. Where should I get my 177 which comes with the good movement? Searching around I found a couple of them, like 177F, 177J, 177M etc. Do you know which one I should go with and from where?

Thanks so much!

From all the wesbites I'v seen the 177 and 176, for example, I never saw it with a solid caseback. I would very much be interested in one too, not only because i's easy to spot as a rep, but because I like it much better too.

So the gen ones, which models that are glassone used to be solid? Does anyone know if the 176 or 177 were?