When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First time buyer.. input?

MapsMoney

hey guys ive been doing tons of research past few weeks on all forums and stuff and have narrowed it down between a few diff pams...

I decided i don't want anything over 44MM since I have a 7 inch wrist, also decided on these:

111 Noob

345 Noob

005 Noob

or

I'm open to buying 2 watches, ideally i want one black strap and one brown (to go with other outfits)... This will be for biz attire and going out, not really an every-day watch wearer ALTHOUGH maybe that'll change with this new addiction/hobby...

Can anyone recommend which one would be my best bet ? Was thinking of going through Angus at PureTime and then topping it off with some nice straps from Gunny..

PS.

Also had a question about these Reps, do i need to wind them all? I know the 111 needs to be wound up, is that hard to do every day? Which ones need to be hand wound all the time... I'm still a noob so be nice guys! Thanks a bunch for this great community

Edited by MapsMoney

not all of them need to be wound. Some are self-winding. Some are hand-winding. That's not because they are replicas. They go by what th gen is doing. For example 111, 005 are hand-winding and the 328 automatic. From what I understand, many like th ones witht he solid caseback because you can if it's of good quality it's easier to fool someone it's real when you hand it to them. Maybe not but if you insist they'll at least be left with this maybe. But once you look at the movement they know 1000% it's a rep. No doubts at all. Unless you convince them th watch is real, the movement broke and you had to replace it with an aftermarket. Hey! it just occured to me. Maybe I'll do that next time. I'll tell them I used to be rich when I bought the watch and now that it broke not so rich. I had to do the easy fix.

Edited by poretl

hahah i really don't plan on trying to 'prove' it to anyone just going to wear it occasionally but that is a good point you brought up maybe i should look for some with a solid back, can you recommend any 44mm or less that suit that criteria?

The 005 would be a very good example then. Also look at the new 029. Those are good man.

If you like titanium you go with the 176 or 177 but those have the open back. But the newer versions they have made some improvemers like the Platinum Plated Cortes de Geneve Decoration on the Bridges, Correct Shape Swan Neck, the engraved blue words etc but still, even though it will look better, you won't be able to fool anyone who knows a thing or 2 about Pans. But then again if they know a thing or 2 you won't fool them anyways. See what I'm saying?

Edited by poretl

I would assume from one of the (so called) trusted dealers. Like Trusty and Puretime? That's what I would do at least. Search their wesbites for the version you like. Then you'll see various prices. Look at the deascriptions. Then look at the pictures. When you order a watch they'll send you QC pictures of your watch. Make sure eveything looks smooth. Post the pictures here if you want to get some feedback.

Edited by poretl

yeah, i might get that one... Im torn between 005 or the 111 right now, the 111 is $303 tho a bit more expensive, any idea why? is it made better.. and where would i be able to get a gen or close to gen strap for that 005 the black looks nice

Edited by MapsMoney

I don't know where you can find a gen strap but you put a gen strap no this baby everyone will believe it's real and most importanlty YOU will believe it. The most important thing on a watch is the strap. Th strap smells quality, the entire watch screams quality. It never works the other way. Never. Maybe you can find a used one if you don't want to pay too much.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD STRAP.

Only then will you enjoy, fall in love and treasure your watch.

Edited by poretl

Yeah i'm gonna pull the trigger on the 005 and get a gen strap if i can find it

I think it's a very good decision. Take your time with the strap. Because you area going to have pay some good money make sure you do your research and make sure you don't get ripped off. They can sell you a replica for a gen. They even rep the plastic bags that the gens come in. Be careful out there. Make sure you trust the source and ask for advice from someone who understands if needed before you buy. Yes, invest in a good strap. Just don't get ripped off.

If I were you I would not bother with gen strap and finding one. There are strap makers that make way better straps then genuine Panerai straps for less money. And they are way, way better and nicer and cool looking. Spend some time doing research and look up various high end strap makers. You can buy a super nice strap from anywhere from low $100's and up.

I personally got some straps from http://www.manifatturefirenze.it/home.php, had them shipped from Italy to US. Some I have been wearing for over 6 years now and the quality and finish beats genuine strap, that's my personal opinion. Their prices are reasonable and they also optionally offer smaller sizes for smaller wrists for some extra $$.