When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steve Mcqueens 5512

grejyedi

Been doing some research on Steve Mcqueen's 5512 and found a site with lots of pictures of Steve wearing his Rolex in his private life, on the set of Papillon as well as in the films Towerng Inferno and in Hunter (although that may be a 5513).

Steve was apparently left handed so wore the watch on the right.

The watch (or at least one of his watches) was auctioned in 2009

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/profiles-in-coolness-steve-mcqueen.html

Apparently there are no photos or evidence he had or wore a Explorer II. Or of him having the tag heuer Monaco on in his private life,

The above site also has a profile of newman with pics of his daytona and Robert Redford.

Apparently there are no photos or evidence he had or wore a Explorer II.

That's because it was apparently just hype created by an Italian magazine article. He never owned a 1655 Explorer II... The only celeb I know of who did own one, was Orlando Bloom, and he tended to wear it on a leather fatstrap :good:

I believe McQueen had been wearing the 5512 as his primary watch since the mid to late 60's. I know there are a lot of pics of his wearing his personal one at Sebring around 1970. Back in the day the 5512 was a very elitist watch. It was not as widely available as the standard 5513 and more than $1000 more back when $1000 was really $1000.