When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1

slask111

Hi,

I love my watches, and i love taking pictures of them. I used to use a Canon GX9 and a Ricoh Micro 4/3 camera bot sold em both (yes to buy more watches..).

Now i use a crappy point and shoot and the pictures sucks. Its a waterproof camera so i have some use for it ( you should se the looks i get when i drop it in a glas of water ;))

But there might be a solution. It seems that the OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1 with objective 14-42MM is on sale nowadays. It has good/great reviews, but mostly the price is right. In sweden they can be bought for around 250€. Im no wizard when it comes to taking pictures. With my previous cameras i had to take 300 shots to get 1 good one. I like the idea with the PEN that you can take great shots without any knowlage. So thats me.. taking the easy route..

Anyone got this camera and is willing to share some input? I have read like a million reviews but noone tell me how the macro mode is.

Pls give me your thoughts about this camera, and if you dont have one.. what could you recommend in the 250€ range?

post-14435-0-12699000-1326925117.jpg

I recently upgraded to Cannon 5D Mk 2's and L Glass, but shot with Olympus for the last 6 years.

One of them was an EP-1 and EPL-1.

Superb cameras, the architecture is as good as the full Boddied E models, with Didgic processors.

The kit 14-42mm lens is good, and the 1/2 HD video mode is handy.

I kept my EPL1 for when lugging my new kit about isn't viable, and it doesn't disappoint.

Very good purchase

I've heard good things and there are some great lenses out there for the m4/3rd's cameras. A couple of co-workers both have the Panasonic versions. One is the GF1 and the other co-worker has the GH2. Both are pretty amazing. I must say though, the GF1 with a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Micro 4/3 Nokton lens is INSANE! The lens is about $1,000 US if you can find one, but what an outstanding lens!!!!

Thnx for the input all. How is that lence for macro shots scanny?

How fortunate for me that the pen works with the Panasonic lences ;-) might as well get me one of theese, for 250€ it seems like a good deal. Nothing better out there? For that price i mean? Now lets se.. A new camera or a new Pam 005 ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

There's lots out there at the moment, that's for sure. I bought a Canon 300HS for a nice little carry around for when I don't have the room for the big D-SLR and I must say it is pretty outstanding!! And it was cheap too. Might want to give it a look.

It's sharp when stopped down from f5.6 up, and you can crop in nicely.

The sensor is the same as that in the Olympus E30, a cracker.

You really can't go wrong.

The only down side to Olympus four thirds and mFT is the cost of lenses.

On lenses, in still using an old 50mm f3.5 OM oly macro lens on the cannon kit, the optics rarely change, so using old glass with an adaptor ring is a fun alternative to new glass.

Playing around with it now. Seems hard to take real macro shots, it cant focus. But then again i have had the camera for an hour or so.. might be my fault...

Otherwise it seems like a nice camera. Not to big and its light weight. Remains to se if its any better than the Canon G9 i had before. Bad lights inside my apt, but theese shots a managed to take without any flash (its night outside).

post-14435-0-71857300-1327079589.jpg

post-14435-0-52245100-1327079600.jpg

You will need to find out with the minimum focusing distance is for the lens you got with the camera. It may not be capable of doing close macro shots. That is the only down side to the D-SLR's and Micro 4/3rd's cameras. The lenses are pretty specialized and specific.

You might find you need to get a macro lens for the camera. I have seen decent reviews for the Olympus 35mm f/3.5 like this one.

Or you might have some luck with a Micro 4/3rd's Macro Extension tube like this one

Yeeees snus is the way to go. Try snus2.se .. get all my stuff from there.

Thanx Redwatch and Jkay for the hints. I cinda love that Macro extension tube that you linked to redwatch. Good price as well. Have the missis over atm, but i will loke into it tomorrow.

Btw have been playing around with the camera all night. I love it more and more. Most because of the easy menus and settings. Its a breeze to setup and it dosent take long to learn how to use the camera to its potential. I can recommend it.