When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2531.80 franken

urbanshogun

Hey guys,

This watch is my first love (in watch terms), it was the watch that brought me here, and the GMT model was my first rep (21j). Unfortunately that watch was stolen and rep forums turned me away from what I like, and on to what is accurate. I'm now consolidating my collection into two watches, the new mark xvi and the 2531.

I have a WBK 21j model coming in that will hopefully arrive tomorrow. What are the good parts of this model? is the he valve correctly positioned? Is the 21j movement the same beat rate as the gen? The gen dial is £125 from cousins and the 2892 is £225. When costs are added together for a super franken, I could just pick up a beat up gen.

The next issue is the crystal. Does the gen have AR coating?

My last question is whether the WBK smp is close enough to the gen that I can just get it relumed and keep it.

Thanks for reading guys

The older 2531 auto and 2541 quartz are so relativley cheap on the used market that you gotta ask if doing a franken version is worth it atall...say after gen hands and dial, new movement, crystal, crown and tube ,and cost of the rep watch..then the cost of having the work done hits £500+ then for very little more you can get a quality used gen...I've seen 2531 autos in very good condition for between 700 to 900 quid with all boxes and paperwork plus they hold their value very well...add up the costs, then shop around-i personally think frankens are cool if the watch in question is unobtainable in cost terms even secondhand, if like the seamaster it is obtainable and for as little as 100 odd quid more for a used gen then I wouldn't bother.

Frankens are fun though!

Yea, I agree.

Not worth it.

I was even debating REP vs. GEN for the price of used ones in this model. Franken, no brainer, you'll sink more into it than is rational. That is, unless it is for fun, for a hobby, then Hell, go for it.

I was able to consistantly find good, not beat, 300 M's on Ebay for $1,300. Most of them from reputable brick and mortar places with waranty.

Lol 41mm auto SMP's on the bay for less than $1000.00??? How am I missing these? I've seen some but they are in terrible condition and not the blue bezel models.

My ETA SMP now has a gen dial, gen bezel, gen dw, gen hands and gen crown and all it cost me was $600.00 installed. If you spend the time to shop for parts, it's actually reasonable.

A gen quartz in satisfactory condition will still run you minimum $900.00 delivered. Unless you go with a mid size...and even those are more than $800.00...

Anyone looking to Franken for starters will need to start with an ETA movement. Your 21j wont take gen parts.

Edited by om3ga_guy

When you're looking through them, remember you can quickly identify the Automatics from the Quartz, the mid size from the large cases by the pictures, without going through the descriptions.

Automatics have 4 lines of text, quartz has 3 lines of text.

Large size case has, next to the date at 3 O'Clock a parital lumed marker, mid-size has just the date window, or in some cases a much smaller scrap of lume.

I have seen them for $1,300 USD Buy It Now, yea.

Yea the prices a few people have posted are in pounds not dollars, so when we've said £700 to £900 that would be what? $1000 to $1400ish... I bought mine from a great seller here in the uk 9months ago, a private shop, 2531 auto, full boxes and paperwork from 2003 for £795-was in great condition with only a few marks to the bezel. The blue ones can be found in abundunce at these prices...but remember these are the older non-coaxial versions..the newer models 2220.80 I believe? Fetch more cos they are the newer models.they have red seamaster text and coaxial movement. Personally I'm a fan of the older style model.

Also the black 2254 smps were discontinued around 2006, very sought after models, and prices can climb a lot higher than the blue models-even higher than some secondhand coaxial models. You can get the new model in black but its basically the blue one with black face-the older black one had a different dial and bezel markings and looked more like the original seamaster 300 with its triangular lume markers.anyway I still think a franken of this watch isn't really worth it when used gens can be sourced for not much more cash.

Finally, abit of interesting info on the blue smp hands-the hour and minute hands are skeletal versions of the ploprof hands-paying hommage to the original hardcore dive watch of the 70's where as the hands on the 2254 black watch pay hommmage to the seamaster 300 from same era...omega staying true to its own heritage there :-)

Yup $1000.00 to $1300.00 USD for a Seamaster Pro makes sense.

I guess all I was trying to say is if a guy wants a very good franken SMP rep and is willing to work with a +/-$650.00 USD project budget, it's doable. Otherwise go gen and spend +$1000.00 USD for a clean one.

I bought a closed factory SMP for $250.00 and the gen parts (007 dial, hands, dw, crown and bezel) for $250.00 (on eBay and RWG) . Threw PBDAD a few bucks to build and relume the dial and now I have a 9/10 rep that's almost bang on to gen. I own a quartz, auto and chrono SMP already. I just figured I'd try a franken for a beater...and now I love it.

If you take your time sourcing clean, used gen parts you can do it at a great price. On the other hand, the guys who buy all their parts new are the ones that go over $1k...that I wouldn't be interested in spending...

Edited by om3ga_guy