When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the 390 feel Gen? It's a No from me.

paneraiguy

• 1 month later...

Very nice!! Gen is a Gen...

It would be cool to see side by side.

Rep will never feel like a Gen, not even close, but for the price it is really not bad at all although there is tons of differences. Despite that I really like the look and finish of my 390 rep. it is a keeper for sure.

I don't begrudge the O.P. for feeling that a rep that costs 5% of the gen isn't nearly as good. It shouldn't be.

I've owned both rep and gen PAMs and, while I get enjoyment from wearing both, they are for different reasons. The rep is usually something that I've modded personally, so I get a feeling of wearing the fruit of my own labors and it's typically a neat piece that I'd never be able to afford anyway (if it's even available anymore, unlike vintage or pre-V stuff.)

The gens are almost made more important by their price. They require saving and patience to purchase (unless you're rich or something) and so they represent something special when you finally get it, and it's often for a special occasion too. Reps are disposable fun and can't have the same importance.

Just because base PAMs are very simple pieces (that come with enormous price tags) doesn't mean that the factories can produce perfect replicas because the gens are (usually) perfectly finished. The difference between a gen and a rep is that extra week of finishing work that each gen receives; and that the rep will only get if the owner is willing to start filing and polishing and replacing parts.

Wear it well, service it when it needs it, sell it when you're no longer enjoying it. Simple.

• 1 month later...