When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Offshore Crystal - What it should look like

Watchmeister

Although some versions are better than others I have never been happy with the rep crystals on the Offshores. I even tried my hand with another member on a run of crystals which was not a happy ending. When that didn't work I then reached out to a certain watchsmith in the Great North ;) and had him carve out the perfect "crystal" out of plexiglass based on gen pictures graciously provided by another member with a gen. And when he had finished it he came back to me and let me know it looked nothing like the crystal on the rep (okay it was round :)). At that point curiousity got the better of me (and I sold off a watch or two) so I went for it and picked up a gen crystal. And needless to say the watchsmith had it exactly right. Rather than a "barrel" it required a proper "step-in" so that the crystal can properly mount in the bezel, poke through the bezel and provide a real seal. In any case, here is the gen crystal which comes with two gaskets. :g:

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1635.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

That is the question. I just snapped a couple of pics before sending it to Ziggy this week. My best guess is that it works within the exterior bezel but won't fit with the rep tachy ring. The taller tachy ring on the rep enables the rep manufacturer to use a thinner and simpler barrel crystal. The gen is engineered in reverse - finding the best way to seal the watch from the elements - ergo the two gasket system. If that is the case I will probably have Ziggy make a new plexi with the appropriate height and bevel characteristics above but fitting for the rep below and then see if it is economic to do a run. I still have a rep or two left and a couple of folks knowing about the prior crystal project have been asking about it. And no this is not an advertisement to sell crystals. If it is plausible and economic I will let folks know. It's all god fun. :)

looks like way to much work, I'll just order the gen crystal :).............on a side note precision (job well done).

I would hold off on that order until it is plugged into the rep case. ;) There are clearly two points of contact (ergo the two gaskets) on the gen so I need to see whether it works as is or what needs to be done to the case to have it achieve the same functionality. Remember the rep crystal is simply a barrel crystal so there may be rework to the exterior bezel. Where this will get interesting is adapting the "above the bezel aesthetic" onto a rep base for an excellent crystal for all the non-franken reps. The purpose of this purchase was two fold.