When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Classic 36mm, why is this so unavailable?

atomic_doug

The new Hublots are nice and all, but the one that really sings to me is the original. I've seen the gen in the wild and even at a small 36mm it just exudes an 80's roguish playboy charm. To me, it's one of those power watches that is super-impressive despite not being very large, like the PP Nautilus or the Cartier Santos.

Long story short: back in the 80's, Carlo Crocco founded his own watch company to make his idea of what a good sports watch would be. Back then, the idea of a rubber strap on a good watch did not exist...and certainly not when the watch was made of gold. Inexplicably, European royalty seemed to enjoy the Hublot and so it was a sales success until the company couldn't come up with any other designs and were eventually bought out.

I think the company actually still makes this watch, but doesn't advertise it.

I don't think it's been repped, though other MDM-era chronos have been. (Not that well.) It seems like a piece of cake to rep. Simple shapes, quartz movement. They made it in steel too and a bunch of different sizes. 36mm was the classic size (80's watch.)

Does anyone else feel the same way? How many of us need to beg and whine before it's made?

Just look at those clean lines, the alternating brushed and polished surfaces. It's casual-power, right there.

post-41378-0-73456600-1330994582.jpg

Edited by atomic_doug