When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob question - First-time Mechanical PAM owner

kevinmogee

I have a PAM 247 Ferretti (http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_49&products_id=9058&zenid=10d83ee1989441bb52a85485f1ff7532) and I can't figure out what the problem is. Let me try to explain.

If I wind the watch and set it down on my desk it runs perfectly, almost to the minute for hours and hours. Never misses a beat. Doesn't matter it it's flat on it's back, on it's glass, or laying on its side, it keeps near perfect time.

The problem only occurs when I actually wear the watch. If I put it on and just move around in a normal fashion, the watch loses at least one minute during a five minute interval (and that's on a good day). Most of the time the watch seems to slow down to the point of it being at least 20-30 minutes behind after only an hour of wearing it. I am constantly resetting the time and hoping that it will somehow correct itself, but it's been three weeks now and it's not getting any better.

I love the watch and Trusty Time was great do deal with, but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kevin Mogee

Sounds like you should send it back and have it the movement swapped or get a replacement. If the problem is severe enough to loose a minute every five minutes, then it's not something you could just fix easily. if you dont want to send it back, you could replace the movement yourself, but that would cost more.

To me, it sounds like either the balance wheel is not properly installed/secured or the entire movement itself is not properly installed/secured. The movement of your wrist while wearing the watch is likely causing some components to drag quite severely.

It may need a new movement or it may just need a few screws tightened.

If you take the route of replacing the movement and you really like the watch, why not replace it with a gen ETA-made Unitas? As movements go, it's not that expensive and any watchmaker in the world can service one. (Odds are, he or she was probably even trained to service movements on that movement the first week of watchmaker school.)

Edited by atomic_doug

Thanks everyone for the responses. I had a feeling that 'return the watch' was going to be the general answer. I really do like the watch, and would hate to not wear it. Anyone have any luck returning a watch to Your Trusty Time? Hoping for a hassle-free process. Any suggestions? This is only my second rep watch, and the first one worked perfectly.

Also, atomic_doug, where would I get an ETA-made Unitas movement? And how difficult would it be to replace? Is that something that I could do myself?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Kevin, ETA-made Unitas movements can be purchased via any number of sources. eBay is riddled with them (though some of them are Chinese clones sold as Swiss-made versions. It's eBay, caveat emptor.) Places like Ofrei will sell them, or your friendly local watchmaker can get you one, usually for pretty cheap. That's where I get my out of the box movements: my local guy will order them for me.

Swapping out the movement is also quite easy. It's where I got started modding my reps. I swapped out a bad Chinese movement for a Swiss Unitas in a 232 Radiomir rep. You'll want a few tiny screwdrivers, tweezers and a hand-puller. (A hand puller can be had for about ten bucks on the 'Bay.) That's really all you need. It takes about two hours the first time you do it, and about ten minutes the second time.

It's actually a lot of fun...well, I think it is. A lot of other folks here do as well. (It also sort of softens the 'rep' blow, y'know? "I built it" has a lot more cool-factor than "it's just a rep". My wife would never wear a 'fake', but watching me put together a Big Bang rep for her makes it a special piece.)

Edited by atomic_doug

Thanks for the info atomic_doug. I would really like to try this fix myself, but obviously am afraid of ruining the watch. I assume a hand puller is exactly what it says, it pulls the hands off the watch (I always wondered how this was accomplished). I assume it will also pull off the seconds hand, but if I get a Swiss Unitas movement, will I have to worry about getting one that supports a sub-second hand? I really appreciate the help.

I have contacted Your Trusty Time to see if there is anything they can offer me to fix it, but I understand that this unfortunate incident is the nature of dealing with a 'rep' model watch. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I'll let the group know what the outcome is.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Kevin

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that I heard back from Andrew at Your Trusty Time, and he sent me instructions on how to return my watch and he's going to have it fixed for me. I said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is awesome and the 'Trusted Dealers' are great!

I'll update again when I get the repaired watch back, but for now I am one happy customer of Your Trusty Time.

Thanks Andrew!

Kevin