When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 27a

HauteHippie

I have the Palp crown on one of the 2893 GMT's. It looks better than the rep but it is a tad too thick - 1.9 (gen) versus 2.1. Since the crowns are theoretically one piece SS you should be able to take a swiss file to it to thin it down and then redo the bevel. I had been asking The Zigmeister about this.:)

Yea, I'd been thinking about filing one down, too... But the bevel would be tough without a metal lathe. Since I haven't purchased the crown yet for the 27a (or the 27a quite yet for that matter), I think the davidsen is the better choice. The retapping of the case should be easier than thinning and rebeveling.... in my mind anyhow. :)

As far as I know Davidsens have only 48 teeth when they should have 50. I would rather have that right than worry about .2mm. Also Davidsens crown means fitting a new casetube which is additional hassle. If he has changed these faults then his would be selling out in no time and Palp would be out of business - but he ain't so he's not (if you get me).

As far as I know Davidsens have only 48 teeth when they should have 50. I would rather have that right than worry about .2mm. Also Davidsens crown means fitting a new casetube which is additional hassle. If he has changed these faults then his would be selling out in no time and Palp would be out of business - but he ain't so he's not (if you get me).

Good points Mark. The 48 vs. 50 teeth, as silly as it sounds, is in fact quite noticeable.

Davidsen crown:

144094-16049.jpg

Gen crown:

144094-16050.jpg

I don't know why this happened - I had sent Davidsen detailed drawings and photos of the crowns a long time ago and he duly sent me a prototype for evaluation. All was excellent apart from the fact that the tube was too big to fit the regular rep casetube. Ok so he supplies a new tube (but who needs the hassle of taking out the old tube and fitting a new one) and he did point out that they were designed with his cases in mind - fair enough. But then a production crown arrives and it is totally different from the prototype and the 48 teeth was one of the things that changed - I cannot for the life of me see why!! Perhaps if D reads this he could explain. Here is the prototype of D's crowns and you will see that it was a very good shape.

144209-16026.jpg

for me personally i like having a thicker tube only for the reason of doing my own retapping for waterproofness , but i will not be able to tell u till i get it in my hands , i can tell u they all have flaws to genuine and the top two r palps and davidsens so far , i have compared palps to my genuine in my hand and it still has the not like genuine look but better than the old ones we were using but i just got a new style panerai in to relume and it looks really darn good , it might be like davidsens but i cant varify that till i get one in my hands, as u all know i dont get crap from a pic , the only way is have it in your hand imho

just my two cents

joe

I don't know why this happened - I had sent Davidsen detailed drawings and photos of the crowns a long time ago and he duly sent me a prototype for evaluation. All was excellent apart from the fact that the tube was too big to fit the regular rep casetube. Ok so he supplies a new tube (but who needs the hassle of taking out the old tube and fitting a new one) and he did point out that they were designed with his cases in mind - fair enough. But then a production crown arrives and it is totally different from the prototype and the 48 teeth was one of the things that changed - I cannot for the life of me see why!! Perhaps if D reads this he could explain. Here is the prototype of D's crowns and you will see that it was a very good shape.

The prototype looks great. Very Lelloish, actually... but we won't go there. In any event, I will say that Davidsen has been and continues to be a great asset to our hobby, and he is continually striving to improve the items he brings to us. He really does listen to and heed our advice, so perhaps a new crown is in the works? I do know that he is addressing the recessed pin issue with his CGs and new logo dials are on the horizon... so who knows. It would be interesting to hear from D himself indeed.