When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rep vs gen crown 390. How to make the lever pin more gen like?

slask111

HI all,

I am home alone working this easter weekend, so ofcourse i started to fiddle around with my 390 (instead of working). I love the watch, but i am not happy with the CG or lever pin. The CG inner walls are uneven and the leverpin is not flushed with the CG or polished as the gen is. Been sanding away and polished the lever pin, but i dont dare to do more. It is really, really hard to get the lever pin surface flat.

When you sand down your lever pin, how do you do it?

Below is a gen 390, and mine. I would say its a big difference.

Happy easter boys and girls!

gen

post-14435-0-99737500-1333817406.jpg

Rep

P4070717.JPG

P4070721.JPG

I finally took the pin out and chucked it up in a collet, then attached it to a drill press. A dremel tool will work as well. To keep it from getting slightly beveled (I wanted it dead flat per gen), I left very little exposed at the end of the collet. I had various grits of wet/dry sandpaper mounted on a flat piece of scrap aluminum.

I made sure the sanding block was secure and perpindicular to the collet as it was lowered to the sanding area. Once the pin was sanded flush with the collet head, I polished it and then re-installed it slightly recessed (automatic since it had been slightly shortened from the sanding).

I also sharpened the inner corners of the CG body.

brndial01.jpg

390ccc-1.jpg

• Like 1

I finally took the pin out and chucked it up in a collet, then attached it to a drill press. A dremel tool will work as well. To keep it from getting slightly beveled (I wanted it dead flat per gen), I left very little exposed at the end of the collet. I had various grits of wet/dry sandpaper mounted on a flat piece of scrap aluminum.

I made sure the sanding block was secure and perpindicular to the collet as it was lowered to the sanding area. Once the pin was sanded flush with the collet head, I polished it and then re-installed it slightly recessed (automatic since it had been slightly shortened from the sanding).

I also sharpened the inner corners of the <acronym title="Crown Guard">CG</acronym> body.

Great job there. Im going to try the dremel as collet and sand away. Easier to get a flat surface if you sand it down to the collet edge as you did. Thnx for the tip.

Just sandpaper to sharpen the corners of the CG or with a dremel tool? Im really scared to sand of to much

I also sharpened the inner corners of the CG body.

Its not as good as yours, but i think im happy now. Thnx for the help.

P4090770newcrop.jpg

I started out with a square file to get the edges straight, then moved on to sandpaper to sort out the rough edges that the file made. Last i used a nailfile for the finishing touch. I just took of the CG from the case and placed it firm in a movement holder so it didnt wiggle around.

Im curious how projectologist did it though, his CG corners are perfect.

Thanks, will give that a go for sure.

I am also curious how projectologist did his. CG looks brilliant.

Please share your technique with us if possible P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just getting back online. For those corners, I used a couple of micro files from the set below (actual file surface is only 50mm long). I went with the finer mesh (also available in 120/140). After going through a couple of cheap sets of diamond files found on ebay, I decide to try a better quality... HUGE difference!

I take it very slow and have the CG body, sans lever, solidly clamped so both of my hands are free to steady the file. Also make sure you have good lighting. Here's a link with more info and where I purchased them...

http://www.riogrande...es/114803?pos=7

microd01.png

• 3 weeks later...