When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16520 Hour totalizer spins freely?

think7

Hi All,

I created an account on RWG to read everything I could about building a franken 16520, so I could build one myself someday. After about 6 months of piecing together parts at prices I could justify ive reached my first problem. The hour totalizer at 6 on my zenith 400 just seems to spin freely. Ive noticed a small gear at ~10 o'clock (to the hour gear) that should engage, however a spring is keeping it back. Ive attached a picture of the movement. Any expert opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed in this post where

omgiv

is just about to put the dial in, his photo shows the small gear engaged on the hour totalizer, not moved back like mine is.

thankspost-42076-0-19321500-1334608161.jpg

Hi,

I must have had the chronograph function engaged when I took that picture. The small gear you are referring to is engages the large gold gear that the hour totalizer hand attaches to. When it is disengaged, the two springs that are on top of the hour totalizer gear should keep it stationary. Are you saying that it spins when the chronograph function is engaged or disengaged? If it is when the chronograph is disengaged, it sounds like the two springs may need to put more press on the hour totalizer wheel. If it is when the chronograph is engaged, there may be something out of place. It may help if you can post some closer pictures. Thanks!

Hi omgiv,

thanks for the reply. I have taken the photo you took, and added a few arrows to point to my questions.

1) so youre saying the springs (blue arrows) should push down enough on the gold hour wheel to keep it from rotating. I just noticed I could easily turn the wheel with the blade of my screwdriver, so I became worried.

2) The red circle shows the gear engaged. When i start running the chrono that gear does not engage right away. Does the movement engage the gear only once its close to an hour elapsed, or should it engage as soon as the chronograph is started?

3) The yellow arrow shows the reset lever. When it resets the hour totalizer ive noticed there is some play, where the hour totalizer does not reset exactly to the same place each time i push the reset lever. There is slight creep with the hour totalizer gear.

Im wondering if the problem is that the springs (blue arrows) are not putting enough friction on the gold wheel, and need to be bend down slightly?

thanks.

post-42076-0-96003100-1334615705.png

1. The blue arrows you marked should hold the wheel in place. You would be able to turn it, but there should be some resistance. They are there to keep the hand in place when the chronograph isn't engaged. There should be enough resistance to keep the hand in place should there be a slight knock.

2. The gear in the red circle should engage when the chronograph is engaged. It won't be instantaneous since there are a lot of moving parts, but it should be quick. That gear should be engaged the entire time the chronograph is engaged.

3. When you press the reset button, is there play in the hour totalizer wheel while holding down the reset pusher? The hammer should keep the wheel still. If it is sloppy while resetting or not resetting properly, it sounds like it may need to be looked at. There may not be enough lubrication on the hammer/ heart to let it spin smoothly. Has the movement been serviced recently? Are you doing the work yourself?

Hope this helps and let me know if anything is unclear.