When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer ref.114270 Project, assistance, thoughts?

atomic_doug

Hi All,

I'm working on my first Rolex project. I don't know why it took me so long to come around to the Coronet, but I'm here now.

I've started with my favorite Rolex: the last of the 36mm Explorers, the ref.114270. It's the Cartel version (I believe) with a non-Swiss 2824 in it.

I've got the bracelet pretty well sorted, cleaned and de-burred so it feels gen now. The flip-lock opens and closes with the correct snap. I've gone through the case and cleaned up all of the too-sharp edges as well. The SELs don't really bother me, because most of the gens I've seen have SELs that look ever-so-slightly off anyway.

The dial looks OK, but the 3, 6, and 9 aren't exactly quite right and, of course, the lume bites. I think I can live with that until I find a gen dial. (I don't know if a gen dial fits, though.)

I don't think the crown is right and that's the part that bugs me the most. It doesn't thread on smoothly. It feels a little 'grinding' and I think it's thicker than gen.

Would I have to replace the crown or both the crown and tube if I were to go with a gen crown? To that end, what size is it supposed to be anyway?

Is there anything glaring that I'm missing?

Any help from the masters is much appreciated.

post-41378-0-98700800-1334860033.jpg

The gen laser etched coronet is not as visible as on the reps.

You can spot them on a rep if sitting next to the one wearing while on the gen you need side lighting and a loupe ;)

Dee

you are right, you need side lightning and a certain view angle but a loups is not required then :) you can spot it from 40-50cm if the lightning and the angle is right and if you know where to look :)