When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To Re-installing A Crown And Stem?

TmeShare

I have a Steinhart Pilot watch (Unitas 6497 movment) and when I pulled out the crown the other day, to set the time, the crown and stem came out. It can be reinserted into the movement and I can wind the watch (sometimes and sometimes the crown spins with no resistence) but if pull the crown out the crown and stem come out each time.

Perhaps a dumb question but can I reinstall the crown and stem myself? Do I turn it anti-clockwise when re-installed?

Any advise, with this problem would be appreciated.

TimeShare

P.S. in reading an early post on a slipping winding issue this sounds like my watch, can a new stem for the Unitas 6497 be bought? and if so can it be inserted into the existing crown (the Steinhart has a IWC BIg Pilot Crown)?

Edited by TmeShare

Our great experts surely will help you better than what I can, but as I came here before them I humbly add my thoughts.

It could be because one (or more) of these issues, in decreasing order of likeliness:

1 - Crown (and stem) was not properly inserted on manufacturing. i.e. the push point (or screw, depending on the movement, I seem to remember that on the 6497 it is a screw) to release and insert the stem was not being properly pushed (or screwed) when they insterted the stem.

2 - The keyless work went a mess.

3 - The stem is too short.

So I suggest that, as a first step, you open your watch and try to reinsert the stem by properly pushing the point (or screwing the screw). There are threads here and on the other forums on how to do it.

This should also help you in diagnosing the other two possible issues.

The most likely cause - and the easiest to fix - is that the screw that retains the winding stem is loose.

In order to prevent damage, loosen the screw shown in the pic - half a turn should be enough. Don't remove the screw - there is no need - and you will only have to put it back again.

Re-insert the stem, turning it gently as you do so - give the gears a chance to mesh.

Then check that the screw indicated in the pic below is tight.

145496-15764.jpg

If that does not solve the problem, seek professional - or at least, more experienced, advice.

The briges on your movement may not look like those in the photo. Don't worry, ... this is from an early 111 rep - the special dyslexia edition :lol: