When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moving abroad with reps?

watchguy51

How many watches are you talking about? Also, are they reps or gens? If it is a fairly small number, it is very unlikely that customs will bother about this - I would suggest that you carry then with you in hand baggage. If you have a large enough number to look like a dealer, then that could well pique their interest. If they are gens, then you should declare them to customs (i.e. go through the red channel if you are accompanying them, or else fill out a customs declaration form if you are shipping them unaccompanied). If you do this, and have a very small personal collection, they will probably let you get away with it (duty isn't payable on personal effects). However, if you have a significant number of watches, the they will probably assume that you intend to sell them and charge duty - which is, I believe, 4.5% of the estimated market value. If they are reps, the situation is murky. You can't declare them as reps because importing reps is illegal, and if you are caught they are likely to be confiscated and destroyed. On the other hand, if they think that they are gens, then you could be liable to duty (4.5% of the value of the gen) - which could easily be more than the rep is worth.

In short, if you have a small collection of reps or gens, just carry them through customs, and in the unlikely event that they question you then tell them that you are a watch collector and this is your personal hobby collection that you would never dream of selling. Don't say anything about them being reps! If you have a large collection of gens - then discuss the matter with customs. If you can't persuade them that it is your personal collection then you will have to bite the bullet and pay import duty (if you can afford a large collection of gens, you can probably afford the duty!). If you have a large collection of reps, then try to keep them out of customs view - if they do take an interest then that could either cost you a lot of money or you could conceivably loose the lot. I suggest that you split such a collection up. Carry a few with you, ship a few and maybe post some to yourself in ones or twos. If customs don't see a lot of watches together, then they are unlikely to bother with you. Also, that way, if you do get any confiscated at least you won't loose them all.