When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7753 Datewheel Upgrade Could Be Not So Good

rbj69

Well this is a information place and i would like to share some info. about the new 7753 datewheels, first of all it is no ones fault what so ever, it is experimental stuff and sometimes stuff happens

I got my finepics beautiful bolder font datewheel the other day, and kudos to u finepics for a nice datewheel finally, i was so tickled to get it cause i love my 188 panerai with 7753 eta movment, so i got it and installed it yesterday evening, well it all went back together like clockwork, and then i replaced my dial and tested its alignment, and that is where the problem started , it appears to get hung up half way in the window, so i figured something wasnt aligned correctly and i checked it out and all was perfect, scratching my head i couldnt figure it out , then i came to the conclusion it could be the new wheel is off a bit, well so far i cant see any major flaws that would cause this

so i asked around and found another having the exact same problem , i will try and figure out what is the problem in time, but for now i just wanted to warn all that r thinking about doing this upgrade to think about before u do it cause u could run into this problem as well , and its not a cheap watch and or upgrade to get, especially if after u do it the watch doesnt perform properly anymore

so if anyone has any suggestions and or comments please feel free to speak up here, again it is no ones fault and for the life of me i cant figure out why it is doing this , it just seems so textbook to have a hangup if u know what i mean

thanks for listening

joe

Finepics has tried it himself on his own and others' watches, so let's wait and see what he did... hopefully he can solve your dire predicament. :3a:

actually finepics has had the same problem , there is really nothing that can align wrong for it to do this, if it is aligned wrong it will simply not move at all, i would like to hear robs thoughts as well on this and see if his has done this as well

joe

Joe's right here - my own wheel does not click round all the time when using the quickset button. It does sometimes but other times will move most of the way then hang up. I have no idea why this is except to say that there may be some very slight distortion in the wheels as a result of having been handled so many times by various people and the quickset mechanism is very sensitive. The solution I have found (although not ideal but does work) is to set the hands to about 8pm then operate the quickset - if it hangs then advance the hands a short way (8pm starts to engage the normal date change mechanism) which is enough just to trip the wheel the last bit. I really don't have an answer other than what I said about the wheels being passed from pillar to post in the search for the right printers. I can assure members that their watches will function perfectly normally with the date change at midnight - it's only the use of the quickset button that is affected.

I also assure everyone that this scenario is not likely with the 2893's etc as they do not have a quickchange button.

Well Finepics, it is probably not your datewheel. Because my 7753 196 missed out on the datewheel but has the same problem. The quickset button doesn't always fully advance the date and sometimes it gets hung up. It didn't used to do this for the first 9 months or so. It is a problem than only recently developed. And curiously also only after having removed the crown stem on many occasions playing with new crowns. Coincidence? I don't know.

My watch is with The Zigmeister right now and I've asked him to look at that. Maybe he'll see the thread and comment.

this is way too funny , it works now lmao , all i did was take it off again for the 5th time , or maybe tenth i cant remember , all i did was open the little spring wire just a tad and now it clicks fine and doesnt hangup at all, now was that what it was? hek i dont know but it works now and it looks great and im so damn happy now , lol

so if this happens to u and finepics just try opening that spring just a bit and put it back on and see what happens, lol

joe