When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal question

JEKS

I've never seent his before, but I received funds from someone via Paypal and Paypal flagged the incoming finds, warning me not to ship yet.

XXXXXXX just sent you money with PayPal. To help protect you, we're reviewing this payment.

The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

You shouldn't provide the item or service purchased until we let you know that the payment has cleared. We'll send you an email when we complete the review or you can check the Transaction History tab of your PayPal account.

XXXXXXXX is a Verified Customer

Today, I received this in the body of an email from Paypal.

We have completed our payment review and have cleared the transaction below. You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transactions Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

You can now provide the item or service purchased.

As best I can tell, both are valid emails from Paypal, not spoofs. So, my question is, should I be worried about this transaction? If so, why? The buyer is international to me and I don't want to get burned.

Please let me know if you've seen this before.

Thank you,

J

PayPal, because it is so vast, automates most of its security features. Unfortunately, the automation is quite dumb and all sorts of innocent things trigger alarms. When an alarm is triggered a "hold" gets put on the transaction until it is either investigated by PayPal or (more often) one or other of the parties gets on to them and moans like anything. I am a British expat living in Malaysia. PayPal cannot get its head around the fact that I have a British e-mail address and bank account and yet connect to it from Malaysia and use a Malaysian address with a Malaysian credit card. Almost every transaction I have with them results in some sort of hold - sometimes they take hours to clear, but sometimes they take weeks. I have lost count of the number of times that they have made me upload scans of my passport! It is bloody annoying, and one of many reasons that I loathe PayPal. Sadly, if you want to use their system you have to play by their rules. Roll on the day that there will be a decent competitor that works the world over.