When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Ass vs. Gen Ass

GBOGH

Recently picked up one of the popular rep Assolutamente straps. Not bad for <$40, very soft and comfortable to wear. It's not as good as the gen like the hype would lead you to believe, but it's definitely worth the rep price. ;)

It's much lighter than the gen, but I like the tan color and it makes for a nice summer strap. The only annoying difference I find is the stitching on the rep strap is much thicker than the gen, and really much too thick in general, an aspect that I don't care much for.

Here it is next to my gen radiomir sized strap I recently bought from the NY Panerai Boutique for comparison. The rep strap is the bottom one in all the pics, and is the lighter tan color.

176b1762-1.jpg

11657d23-1.jpg

f1d0ce84-1.jpg

f93f75f4-1-1.jpg

f854d907-1.jpg

:)

• 1 month later...

I have the gen and owned all variations of the rep

Managed to treat the rep strap with olfhausen leather conditioner and it darkened the strap to an exact match of the gen color wise

Only difference is the threads

Best rep version is the kurvasit old one but the stitching is not great quality

Edited by rogerthat

Thanks for the review. if it wears comfortably and the only gripe is the stitching (since no two look alike in color once they have been on the wrist for a couple of days) than it sounds like a good addition. I have never been fanatical on the closeness to gen on straps since even Panerai can't make (or subcontract) two batches of light colored straps which are the same. Over the years I have bought the same gen strap 2-3 times when they discolor and I found there is no consistency between color, stitching, etc. It ain't like the Hirsch days when they had one consistent supplier.

That's a good point W... I found the same on my Asso's... And a 'vintage'....

Though any one after an oem strap can usually find almost the exact same one from the Hirsch catalogue... They just rebranded them...

:)