When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Rep - GMT Master II

OldPilot

Yesterday, I purchased my first replica, a new ("unworn") rep GMT Master II. I joined this forum to learn about replicas and find some good potential sites to purchase reps from. This GMT came up on my local craigslist. The young previous owner knew nothing about this rep. He said he only wanted to "own a Rolex" when he bought it and didn't really know anything about watches. Here's what I learned from my initial exam.

The owner knew nothing about the movement. It is a smooth movement, but aren't they all. I assume there's no way to know without having someone open the watch and examine.

The crystal seems good quality. I could see with a magnifying glass the laser etched crown at 6. It seems to be etched very low on crystal, but I don't have a real one to compare the proper placement with. I read somewhere about a "water test", so I put a drop of water on the crystal. The drop stayed intact rather than spreading out as it might with a plain glass cover. I feel like the cyclops might be just very slightly off center, but maybe I'm just a little too critical.

The bezel seems a liitle light. I can push on the edges and feel the "give" from the spring underneath. Wonder if that is normal?

The watch itself is heavy, just as I would want it to be. The bracelet, however, seems light. I've read somewhere that this normal for replicas where the links might be hollow. I was happy that there were no scratches on the watch or bracelet. I wonder how well the gold plating is going to hold up to normal wear? The back has the "hologram" sticker, but I've read that having the sticker is really no big deal.

The watch came in a green wooden Rolex box. Hard for me to tell how much like the gen this box is. But I suppose it's nice to have for the effect.

I've worn it for a day now and am pleased with it.

Interestingly and almost impossible to believe, the seller said that he bought this watch from a jeweler in town - one who sells authentic Rolexes. He claimed he paid the jeweler $500.

post-45565-0-60233000-1342488873_thumb.j

post-45565-0-10935800-1342488889_thumb.j

post-45565-0-83537500-1342488900_thumb.j

post-45565-0-31237500-1342488913_thumb.j

post-45565-0-58024500-1342488925_thumb.j

post-45565-0-31021400-1342488946_thumb.j

post-45565-0-71847600-1342488966_thumb.j

post-45565-0-34357700-1342488986_thumb.j

First up, a nice lookin watch. I`m no expert but been around awhile and 99.9% of the 2-leggers couldn`t tell you a rep Rolex from the real deal. They just claim they can...

The boxes though are usually so-so compared to the gen. Put it on a nato and loose that crappy bracelet, or some other strap.

For a first try, OK. Welcome to the forum, probably you should have come here before you bought. as pizzanooo said, most folks couldn't tell a Rolex from a Timex,so to the average person,it would pass. However if you happen to be in the company of anyone with Rolex knowledge, they can tell this is a rep, and a not so good one at that. I'm enclosing a link to a genuine FS on the Rolex forum, look at that one and then look at yours and you can see where all the flaws are.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=216642

Look at the hands, the dial surrounds, the rehault, the GMT hand, the bezel and see where yours is incorrect. The SEL bracelet on the GMT is pretty substantial, yours isn't.

the young fellow lied to you, there is no way that a authorized Rolex dealer sold this watch, unless the stock boy made the sale.

Stay on the forum, read, do some research and then buy a good one from one of our trusted dealers, it will be about 100X better than this one, and probably cheaper as well.

Good luck

You made great pics that's for sure my compliment on those.

I have the same model. What hit my eye is that unfortunately the marker at 12 is not aligned it is skew.

See your pic number 5 and the last pic.

See also the point of the 12 o'clock triangle marker it should point at the middle of the rolex coronet, yours is pointing to the left to much.

here pic of mine

geeb8.jpg

Thnaks for the comments from Powermax and sardonix. I now notice, for instance, how the minute marks on mine are directly up against the rehaut, yet the more original designs have an ever so slight space between the rehaut and the marks. It seems that the rehaut on mine is more "slanted" in to the dial than would be expected on a more exact replica. This anomally "bothered me" almost immediately when I saw the watch, but just couldn't put my finger on what exactly was in error.

Another item on the face is the alignment of the coronet on the rehaut at 12 0'clock. Mine appears to be correctly aligned where the 12 o'clock minute mark is spot on at the base of the coronet. I've seen pictures of some reps where this is not the case, as if the rehaut has been slightly rotated around the dial.

I also notice how the coronet on the bracelet clasp is substantially misplaced compared to a real one. This is a significant error and makes me wonder: what are the people who make this thinking? Who is managing the production process? It's called "configuration control".

I'm glad to know what I have and what the flaws are. I paid $150 for this one, so I figured I got a fair deal. I just really wonder what kind of movement is in this watch?

I have a question: What about water resistance? I know most replica dealer sites caution against any kind of water touching these devices. Is there a way to acquire Rolex rep with water resistance/proofing like originals??

Well, personally, I would have passed on that watch and would look for something with a better build quality that I would feel at least comfortable wearing in public.

Things already mention like the wokky rehaut, crooked 12 oclock marker, wrong clasp, misaligned 12 o'clock rehaut etched coronet, plus thick hour hand, cyclops too far too the right, the 9 o;clock minute marker crooked and touching the minute tic,

Just looks like a cheap junk, sorry, no offense, and that is the BIGGEST tell of a fake Rolex that even non-watch geeks can spot.

The $100 21j SS versions from trusted dealers here are much better watches, better build quality, correct clasps, etc.

Good luck and welcome

:)

Well, I can honestly say I've learned much with this rep. I am pleased nevertheless, even knowing about the faults that this watch has.

Now to go forward, I want to look to get another Rolex rep. I have not been able to pin a down a site where I could do some safe shopping. I haven't been able to find a list of recommended sites here on this forum. Sparkal, in an above post, mentioned a "TT". Does he mean the trusty time rep site? I found a list of "trusted" dealers on the RWI forum. Are these reliable? Where would you go to find your second replica experience?

TT is Two Tone, SS is stainless steel.

Scroll down to the watches clothing acceries section, undnerneath is listed all the trusted dealers.

I would use this a $150 lesson in fake watches, just be thankful, many have spent much more than you!