When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Athaya 6254 case reshape log

mellons

I have gotten a few queries from forum members regarding aspects of the athaya 6154 case reshape recently posted, so I have decided to post a log of the reshape here. This was one of the most nervous reshapes I have done as the stock case from athaya is so good to start off with. This log suggests some mods to the case- some may not be to people's tastes and I know from other members' input (oyang case etc.) there are several interpretations of the gen shape. For the gen shape there are numerous variants, as with the 6152/1 the originals were hand done so there will be some variety. Only today I saw some new images of a gen 6154 that made me re-asses the lug end of the athaya case: previous to this I thought oyang's was the more accurate- these new images suggest the opposite- go figure! In any event this log is not definitive and if other have achieved better shapes more easily please post!

For those who wanted to do some minor tweaking but were reluctant to do so (as I was) this may give you some pointers. The first time I did a reshape on this case I took off too much material- on reflection I think less should be taken off to achieve the same result (particularly on lugs). In the A6154 there is not a lot of material to play with, so the chance of accidentally removing too much is always there. In addition I believe (from the one gen image i have) that there was a crease between the lugs. I have not attempted that here as it is a lot of work and it is not necessary: this area is not visible and there is some argument as to whether all the 6154 cases had a crease.

First step: roughly mark out areas to be reshaped with indelible marker. Keep bezel and caseback on for this. Notice crease lines will be softened slightly

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

Crease needs to be removed around caseback on underside. Most material to be removed is between lugs on the underside to get pillow shape

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

Corners to be taken down slightly (to individual taste)

IMG_3798.jpg

STAGE 2- hand files (i would suggest hand files only)

The initial filework is done with significant material off lug area underside (rounded junction with caseback), lugs underside made more rounded, slight tip taken off lugs also, and corners taken down slighty. Crease lines softened slightly also. Singel piece bezel is still on the case.

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

The lug shape is further defined by material removed from the lug underside to get more rounded. Crease line around the caseback should be nearly completely removed. Notice curvature on underside of area between lugs.

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

lug shape has gotten a little more defined. Small amount taken off end and curve to underside accentuated. Be careful with junction of underside of case: too much material off here and curve will "arch under" case. Tops of lugs have not been touched so far.

IMG_3812.jpg

Stage 3: to follow....