When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My (almost perfect) IWC Big Pilot Rep 5002 with Gen Parts

watchfreund

Dear all,

before I start I want to thank this really nice community! I already bought some nice pieces here from some members and met some really friendly people - Also from Germany or Netherlands. Lots of support here!! I did not know that the scene would be so big in Germany too.

So one of my favorite watches is the IWC Big Pilot. I already tested it as a GEN and it charmes my wrists. ;)

I want to build my own (almost perfect) REP now and hope for your help.

What I already learned is that the recent 5002 (Available at all trusted shops here) is already near to perfection - Except the strap. I have a nice offer from a German member for the recent 5002 including the GEN brown leather strap. So if it will be still available and we meet at a good price point this will be my base.

I was just able to buy a GEN Dial for the IWC Big Pilot (IWC Caliber 5011). I think I was very lucky because what I have read GEN IWC parts are getting harder to source, right? But here is already my first question: will a GEN Dial fit the 5002?

What else can be changed to GEN? I am thinking of the clasp (read that it is not as good) and the crown. Hands should be good right?

AR and relume is not necessary anymore at the recent 5002, right?

So my total goal (at the moment) is this:

• IWC Big Pilot REP 5002
  • GEN brown leather strap
  • GEN dial
  • GEN crown
  • (GEN clasp)

So what are your thoughts? Any ideas or hints or feedback?

Thanks!!

Wow I am really jaleous of the parts you already gathered! I am pretty sure you will be able to fit the dial into your replica watch. Although I have not tried it myself. Worst case you cut the feet and you are good to go.

Would you mind telling us where you got your IWC parts? I having a hard time finding pieces for my 3717 pilot & 3718 spitfire project...

Wow I am really jaleous of the parts you already gathered! I am pretty sure you will be able to fit the dial into your replica watch. Although I have not tried it myself. Worst case you cut the feet and you are good to go.

Thanks! Did anybody ever fit a GEN Dial in the Big Pilot?

Would you mind telling us where you got your IWC parts? I having a hard time finding pieces for my 3717 pilot & 3718 spitfire project...

Sure! I just looked at Ebay and was really lucky I think!

I am not sure what else there would be. Strap is certainly common. You wouldn't bother with hands or datewheel as they wouldn't fit the Asian movement. Crown would likely require a custom stem as I would doubt the stem is the same size on the two movements so you would likely require a stem tapered down on one side. The other possibility is crystal but I don't know of anyone who has tried it.

I am not sure what else there would be. Strap is certainly common. You wouldn't bother with hands or datewheel as they wouldn't fit the Asian movement. Crown would likely require a custom stem as I would doubt the stem is the same size on the two movements so you would likely require a stem tapered down on one side. The other possibility is crystal but I don't know of anyone who has tried it.

Hi Watchmeister, thanks for your feedback! I just bought the watch and the awesome IWC buffalo strap. As soon as it is here and the dial arrived I will change this and post some pictures. Lets see what can be done than. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

look what just arrived!!

I was lucky, still spend a lot of money and the 2 o clock marker needs to be fixed by my watchmaker.

BUT I think you do not get these GEN dials a lot of times, right? :)

I already compared the GEN dial with the REP:

• GEN dial finish is much finer / just take a look at the cycles for the power reserve
  • GEN font for "Schaffhausen" and "Automatic" differs
  • The numbers in the power reserve are bolder in the GEN dial
  • The lines for the minutes are getting smaller next to the power reserve at the GEN dial / In the REP dial they are always the same size

Hope that helps some people here?

Anyways here are the pictures:

post-40027-0-16925700-1346331467_thumb.j

post-40027-0-66187600-1346331470_thumb.j

post-40027-0-19144000-1346331475_thumb.j

post-40027-0-56699400-1346331479_thumb.j

I eyeballed that one on eBay for awhile. The 2 o'clock marker ruined it for me . Does it appear to be a easy fix for your watchmaker with out screwing up the dial?

There's another one on eBay that I found the other day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170900907160

Looking forward to your finished project!

EDIT: Also thanks for the information on where you got the dial! :)

Edited by Michael_B

I eyeballed that one on eBay for awhile. The 2 o'clock marker ruined it for me . Does it appear to be a easy fix for your watchmaker with out screwing up the dial?

Fixable. ;)

Looking forward to your finished project!

EDIT: Also thanks for the information on where you got the dial! :)

Thanks! And you are welcome!!

I am also looking forward to your finished project.

Awesome price! 355 US-Dollar!! I watched it. To bad it was US ONLY.

You should have asked the seller if he ships to Europe or wherever you are if you pay the additional shipping fees. In my experience, most of the time they say yes. If it is any consolation, it went to a member of RG. These will make some nice frankens. I will let you guys know if I see another Big Pilot dial up for sale.

You should have asked the seller if he ships to Europe or wherever you are if you pay the additional shipping fees. In my experience, most of the time they say yes. If it is any consolation, it went to a member of RG. These will make some nice frankens. I will let you guys know if I see another Big Pilot dial up for sale.

Thanks Michael. I already have my GEN dial. But this was a good catch!

Went super cheap IMO. Damn auction finished at 8am, and had no more free snipes left.

Awesome price! 355 US-Dollar!! I watched it. To bad it was US ONLY.

I got it!!! It was a steal and yes, I live inside EU :) No problems shipping. Next I would need a gen strap. Crystal is on its way to China for double side AR job.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, how is your Franken process going? I am just about to get the gen dial from the post office and double side AR coated crystal should arrive in a 1 week. I will get another DW to fix the sunken DW problem too. I also got Orloff strap last week, it is very nice!

Can someone explain how to do that DW fix correctly?

Hi mate, how is your Franken process going? I am just about to get the gen dial from the post office and double side AR coated crystal should arrive in a 1 week. I will get another DW to fix the sunken DW problem too. I also got Orloff strap last week, it is very nice! Can someone explain how to do that DW fix correctly?

Thanks! Everything is going very good - Why dont you also make a thread with some pictures?

Today we found out that you do not need much improvement on the sunken DW as soon as you mount a GEN dial in the right way. Very cool. Try it out mate.

In the mean time I also decided to get a double side AR on the crystal. It will be back next week.

Also I decided to relume the GEN dial and the hands. Lume is good. Do not get me wrong. But I am really picky and in my opinion it can be stronger - It always can!

Man I can wait to have this finished and on my arm again.