When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to reengage a stem?

MrBeetleman

I have a 2 month old 45mm planet ocean (from Trusty Time). When I went to set the time and date yesterday, the stem wont change anything. At both points (date & time), the stem will spin freely in 1 direction, and with a slight resistance & 'winding' sound in the other direction.

It has an Asian Automatic 21J movement. I can remove the back of the case, but I don't know what else I can do...

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this? Andrew just suggested that I find a local repair shop, but I am many hours away from any shops like that..........

Have you tried pushing the stem back into its default position & then pulling it out to try setting the time again?

Sometimes, the clutch lever or detent (parts within the watch that lock the stem in place) will pop out of alignment & pulling the stem out & pushing it back in a couple of times may sort it out. Failing that, the watch would require service. Specially, the movement would need to be removed from the case, the hands/dial removed from the movement & then the keyless works (which contain the 2 parts mentioned above) can be reset.

I believe 1 or 2 of the Pinned articles at the top of the Watchmaking sections contain guides to uncasing & hand/dial removal. Be aware that it is probably cheaper to replace the movement (unless you can do the work yourself) than to have it repaired by a watchmaker.

If you can take some good, clear macro (close-up) pics of the movement after you remove the caseback, I can probably guide you through the process. You will need a set of jewelers screwdrivers. Also, if you plan to do the work yourself, wear some Latex gloves (the oils in your skin will cause the metal parts to rust). Druggists, pharmacies & many auto parts stores sell them.