When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

N vs H vs Noob vs...

sebvad

Thanks mate. Fascinating world here. So i'm assuming 'factory' is a bit of tongue in cheek? more of a small operation run by 1-2 folks in their house? Curious as to how the system works - i'm assuming that much of the branded mfr occurs in China anyway - are folks smuggling out parts from branded factories and assembling them in their own 'factory'? or is there is there a more sophisticated supply chain where the individual parts are copied and manufactured solely for the purpose of replicas? combination of both?

Is it typical to ask your rep to provide a timegrapher analysis/screen shot/whatever of the watch he's sending?

I think u are underestimated the size and scale of this hobby

If runs are typically in 1000 piece batches and 1000 * $300 = $300,000 you still think it is done by mom and dad in their basement?

That's 300k for just 1 watch multiple that every item on a dealer site

Factories don't make every part but start the process, source the manufacturing of the parts and do the final assembly and selling to the dealers, so nothing tongue and cheek about it

Noob and h are competing at the top end of the market which is what the forums mostly are interested in

The dealers are independent authorized sales agents if you will

They work hard and are not rich, the factory owners are probably billionaires

If you rep is in the $200 plus range, yes ask for time grapher photos

Cheaper reps not all dealers give qc or time grapher photos

Edited by rogerthat

Owners of the crystal factories, case factories, dial factories, strap factories, etc... surely turn a blind eye and take lucrative orders from these factories as well as orders from legit brands, that's for sure

If you want to call noob and h assemblers instead of factories, that may more accurately describe their "factory". I don't really know of course

Smaller gen brands in Switzerland would have a similar business where they are producing very few if any parts at their location, but outsourcing various parts from different manufactures

Would you call Hublot assemblers? Or a watch factory

Edited by rogerthat