When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portofino Chrono questions from Josh, as reviewed below......

Werlynne

I bought two watches from Josh before Christmas and I now have my eye on a IWC Portofino which has been reviewed below. I have a couple of general questions to ask before I buy another if anyone can advise. I understand that it is not a perfect rep.

The first two watches were $148 and I think the quality is reasonable, do the more expensive watches have a better quality of finish, the IWC is $338

I have been reading the forum about the Asia Valjoux 7750 movement, there are so many comments both good and bad varying over time, is this movement now reliable and is there anything I need to know about before usage?

Is the movement reasonable quiet when self winding on your wrist, the less expensive Asian 2813 winding noise is noticeable.

Should the watch be serviced before use?

I have read about not setting the date between 10PM and 3AM, does this still apply?

This is the link from Josh about the watch.

http://www.1-pc8838....ph-p-13154.html

Many thanks for any advice/help.

post-49784-0-70249300-1357846982_thumb.j

Yes, the more expensive watches tend to have a better finish. (and a better movement)

Many members recommend that you immediately have the a7750 movements serviced.

As a rule you should not set the date between 10-3. If I want to change the date, I set the time to 6:30.

The portofino chrono you linked in the description does look good at a glance, but there are many details that are wrong; and these details have been covered in a previous thread.