When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it Possible?

SomalianPirate

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to hommage the PAM 346:

00017921.jpg

I don't think I've seen many Radiomir homages sporting the date function.  Having said that, there are a couple on the bay with a California dial; these look a bit odd.  I'm pretty sure that the ones on the bay are all 47mm and use ETA 2824-2  clones.  So, this tells me that a standard automatic movement  -- Chinese or Swiss -- *should* fit in a 47mm Radiomir case.  

Sourcing a dial is probably the biggest issue; I'd prefer it sterile or with "Marina Militare" text.  The one in the above picture is described as being "tobacco brown".  At the risk of being too picky, black will probably suffice.  My question then:  Would the homage dials (with date windows at 9) built for Luminors/Fiddys work in a 47mm Radiomir case?  Assuming that the movement fits properly, of course.  Or is it more complicated than this?  I suspect it might be; so far, nobody I've contacted seems confident making a homage of this one.  Educate me.

Well, if it can't be done then it can't be done.  Just thought I'd get some community feedback before throwing in the towel ;).  In either case, it's a great looking watch! 

Thanks for your time. 

PS -- Quite interesting how this PAM 364 utilises a manual wind movement... despite having a date function. 

Edited by SomalianPirate

Regarding your PS comment... Not that unusual as Panerai's first in-house manual-wind movement used in the 233 also has a date function as well as GMT and Power Reserve indicators. Good luck on your quest!

True...  I guess that when I see a date function, it means "daily wearer" to me.  In which case, an automatic movement seems more logical.  A power reserve makes more sense to me on a manual wind...  a lot of the homages out there add this function to autos instead.  

But yes, a homage to the PAM 346 would be awesome.  I'm sure there are guys out there who know a lot more about modding than me...  I await your knowledge :)

Edit:  a correction to make.  Turns out that the Radiomirs with date functions on ebay are actually 45mm. 

In the interest of clarity, the specs I'm looking at are...

Movement:  Sturdy automatic with date function. 

Case: Titanium OR brushed steel Radiomir case...  depending on avaliability.  Either 45mm or 47mm is acceptable.   

Dial: Black sandwich dial with creme superlume.  Date window at 3.  As per picture. 

Hands: Gold with creme superlume. 

Glass: Preferebly sapphire, with cyclops.

Caseback: See-through. 

Right, time to sign off for a bit methinks.  Thanks again :)