When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Save From The Charity Shop...

rmcsherry

My parents came to visit yesterday, having just returned from seeing my Grandmother in Scotland. Whilst they were there, it came up in conversion that she is having a 'clear out' and taking some of her brother's old clothes to the charity shop (he died some years ago). He never married and liked to gamble - so presumably could affford the occasional luxury. In one of the boxes for the charity shop was two watches, my Grandma decided they were old and worthless - thinking one was a novelty Jaguar watch, the other a cheap gold watch. After my Dad opened the boxes, it turns out that the 'Jaguar' was in fact a Jaeger LeCoultre, and the cheap gold one was a 50's Rolex with seconds @ 6, unworn in original box with papers! He's driving up again next week, and is bringing them back to be valued. I'll ask him to get a couple of photos as there are plenty of 'experts' that may recognise them here!

It got me wondering though... what else has been thrown out as useless junk? My Grandad was in the war (based in Africa and India if I recall correctly) and after he died, I was asked if I'd like some of the things he saved from the war - to my surprise, this also included many 'found' items from the Italian Military. No Panny's this time, although it got me wondering how many valuable items like this are thrown away? The watches may turn out to be nothing special, who knows. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I'll post some photos when I get them.

I've sent him some links to Antiquorum and a vintage Rolex catalogue, hopefully he'll recognise it easily enough if he sees it! The pocket watch sounds nice, Mark - I've got a couple of old PW's kicking around, no idea of what they're worth though (they are silver English pocket watches from the 1850's). I've just about got that Tiffany travel clock I told you about up and running, I think it'll be going on ebay before the month's out. I'll post an update when I get the pictures of the watches, they certainly sound interesting :D

its like our own antiques roadshow

Can't wait to see the pics. An interesting note. My dad who fought in Korea bought a Rolex on R&R in japan. Wore it for years, till one day, in the late 60's, he took it in to get fixed. It was a rep! They were making Rolex reps in the 50's (and probably back then there really were Japanese Rolex reps). I'd almost think an early rolex rep would be worth more than some of their more common and inexpensive gens from the same era.

I think the outcome of my last "experiment" could more accurately be described as

"a bag of watch dust"

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well be sure to place it into a nice sealed cherrywood case to be given upon your passing to that

relative that is more interested in his inheritance, than your legacy...

Hey,.. I think I will do that as well... but mine will be a highly accurate patek replica in the

Quarter million range.... :lol:

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Another convert to the School of Nanuqism!

The Rules:

1) You can never have a big enough hammer (or axe)

2) Too much is never enough

3) 'Tis easier to obtain forgiveness than permission

4) An inquisitive mind gathers no dust

5) Frozen things break much easier than thawed things

:Jumpy::thumbsupsmileyanim: