When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Limited / Special Edition PVD

bluejelly182

Hi, I have been lurking round here for a few years now, mostly drooling over countless watches during my lunch break. I got my first rep (Breitling Skyland avenger v3) about three years ago and now I have a bit of spare cash dreams are soon going to be reality!

So I've always wanted a Panerai ever since i picked one up for $11 in Thailand and I really fancy a PVD watch to have something different from the blingy Breitling. (un)fortunately i've got a little obsessed with the rarer PVD PAMs. I'm curious to see what everyone here thinks of my short list and if you have any other suggestions. All are from DSN

http://bit.ly/14GqcB3

The first PAM I really fancied was the the PAM 195 PVD Luminor Marina (Paneristi Limited to 200 - i've also seen it called Logo Marina - not sure which is right)

http://bit.ly/V1ZVu0

Or i could go for the Luminor Black Seal PVD 5218-218/A - So this totally blew the 195 out the water when I first saw it and I'm a Stallone fan - then I discovered only 5 exist which does make it cool but if anyone ever asked me about it I'd feel compelled to tell them the interesting story of how only 5 exist but that mine is a rep - probably shouldn't care as i really like how it looks.

http://bit.ly/11t7q2j

Lastly there is the 360 PVD Luminor BBQ - Again another really tasty PVD watch.

If anyone had brought one from DNS, what was the PVD like? They all look a bit light to me.

Thank you

5218-218A is an interesting model, widely regarded as Pre-Vendome, it was actually finished under Vendome in late 1997. It uses the same CORO Spa sourced case as the 5218-209 & -210 and OP6500 PreA models, but with a strap change system designed for Valgine cases of the 1993-1996 Pre-Vendome models. There are only five widely recognized as authentic, serials P 001 through P 005, but it's estimated that as many as 20-25 of them ended up being made by rogue workers during the transition period and breakup of the Panerai Firenze and Panerai Sistemi. The counterfeit ones, though made with genuine parts, have a few inconsistencies in PVD coating, rodiatura of the buckles and lug screws and finishing.

It is a difficult repro to build accurately but it's doable.

Thanks Stormtrooper for the heads up on the scam site - I need to be more careful!

Love your 195 does it have the case back engraved with one of the 200 paneristi it was made for?

Thanks for the info w0lf, I love that its not really an official model, makes it so much more of an interesting piece. I have seen of this site somewhere a build of this - I think it cost around $800. I have shaky hands and would never be able to do something like that myself.

Yes my Dsn does have the sort of correct case back , but it doesn't have the original owners name on it. I think the new versions have some names on them. I wouldn't go down the $$$ route yet. Have a try of some better value versions first and see if you can live with them. Mine is an early version with a number of so called flaws but I try not to let them bother me and just enjoy it for what it is. Despite its inaccuracies compared to the original quality wise it is very good