When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP OFFSHORE BLACK THEME REPAIR NEEDED?

jen quint

It is a quartz rep so worth about $100 give or take a little If you can fix it or find someone to fix it for less than $50 sure it is worth doing Otherwise sold as is it is worth $40 to someone I would imagine

How do you tell that its a rep? couldnt it be a woman's offshore with quartz movement?  

thankyou for replying so quickly!

Don't believe ap makes any quartz chronographs They do make some quartz lady ro watches but never see a roo Plus looks cheap, very unlike ap like

Admittedly I dont know what a chronograph actually is. But please detail what looks cheap on it? what about opening the back? will that help? 

Thanks again

Overall finishing looks not finely hand brushed like the gen would be Logo on dial does not look as crisp as it should Caseback printing/engraving looks very poor Chronograph = the extra subdials and pushers Don't think ap would make a watch with more than 1 hand/dial with a quartz movement

Its definitely a replica. For me, the obvious tell in this, is the spacing between the 6 o'clock subdial and the 9 o'clock one. They are too close together. The fact that all the subdial hands are in motion may mean that either the chronograph has been activated and not stopped, and not an indication that its a rep. And as the guys mentioned, its a quartz movement. To confirm this, you just need to see the movement of the second hand. It would go "tick-tick-tick" from one marker to the next, and not a smooth continuous sweep. 

I would not spend more than $20 on the repair. 

And oh, welcome to RWG :D

Its definitely a replica. For me, the obvious tell in this, is the spacing between the 6 o'clock subdial and the 9 o'clock one. They are too close together. The fact that all the subdial hands are in motion may mean that either the chronograph has been activated and not stopped, and not an indication that its a rep. And as the guys mentioned, its a quartz movement. To confirm this, you just need to see the movement of the second hand. It would go "tick-tick-tick" from one marker to the next, and not a smooth continuous sweep. 

I would not spend more than $20 on the repair. 

And oh, welcome to RWG :D

I really appreciate all the comments! Thanks, but this isnt exactly the best news:) 

I THINK i see what you all are saying about the subdial locations. do you mean that there should be 2 complete squares between the 6oclock and 9 oclock subs on the raised square grid? my 6 oclock sub has a partial square under it and thus cuts off one near the 9 oclock sub.  While I cant find this exact model, the current selection of AP does all have 2 squares between these dials. 

But i am not seeing the difference in the finish on the metal. That looks accurate to me. 

It is a quartz movement. My second hand does go tic tic tic.

So the consensus is against the possibility that this is just a variation of the design (are the subs always in the same place? )  lol I really appreciate this. People on ebay were really of no help at all

Thanks for the welcome! Awesome that i got such a response all ready!

I really appreciate all the comments! Thanks, but this isnt exactly the best news:)
I THINK i see what you all are saying about the subdial locations. do you mean that there should be 2 complete squares between the 6oclock and 9 oclock subs on the raised square grid? my 6 oclock sub has a partial square under it and thus cuts off one near the 9 oclock sub. While I cant find this exact model, the current selection of AP does all have 2 squares between these dials.

But i am not seeing the difference in the finish on the metal. That looks accurate to me.
It is a quartz movement. My second hand does go tic tic tic.

So the consensus is against the possibility that this is just a variation of the design (are the subs always in the same place? ) lol I really appreciate this. People on ebay were really of no help at all

Thanks for the welcome! Awesome that i got such a response all ready!

Hello

just so that you know, the AP Royal Oak Offshore model pictured is the Rubberclad, and its supposed to be an automatic watch (self-winding, no battery)
I do not know of any variation of the same model in quartz honestly.

Forget ebay, mate, you are home now. This is more than a forum.. its a virtual school (yeah sometimes of hard knocks), a madhouse of horological lunatics, a gathering of experts who can tell the differences between the 16million models of Panerai, and above all, this is home to people who enjoy watches, rep or gen.

Hang around, and we will learn together :D

Hello

just so that you know, the AP Royal Oak Offshore model pictured is the Rubberclad, and its supposed to be an automatic watch (self-winding, no battery)

I do not know of any variation of the same model in quartz honestly.

Forget ebay, mate, you are home now. This is more than a forum.. its a virtual school (yeah sometimes of hard knocks), a madhouse of horological lunatics, a gathering of experts who can tell the differences between the 16million models of Panerai, and above all, this is home to people who enjoy watches, rep or gen.

Hang around, and we will learn together :D

Thanks and i understand that all reps have some kind of giveaways but the suggestion that this model was never made with a quartz movement just didnt seem enough for me. I looked up the rep sites where they go for 2 or 300$ and while they were looking pretty good for that price, they were also saying Automatic on the underside. 

Thanks again. I suppose ill fix it and just wear it. thatd be better than chucking it anyway!