When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ceramic Planet Ocean 45mm Not Working **Help :(**

dam5173

Hey everyone

I just bought my first rep a few weeks ago and received it yesterday.  I purchased the new Ceramic 45mm Planet Ocean from Joshua.  Like everyone said, Joshua provided excellent service and I was very pleased with the smoothness of the transaction.  

So on to my problem... this is my first automatic movement watch.  So there is the distinct possibility that I am completing missing something.  Anyway, the watch arrived completely dead.  Which I figured would be the case since there is such a long transit time from Asia.  So I have been trying to manually wind the watch, but nothing I do seems to make any difference.  The watch simply won't start ticking.

To wind the watch I have been unscrewing the crown counter-clockwise until it "pops out" from the case.  I then have been turning the crown clockwise to wind it.  When I do this, I feel a very slight resistance, like the watch is actually being wound.  If I turn the watch over, I can see the gears inside the watch are actually being turned when I rotate the crown clockwise.  This is not the case when I turn it counter clockwise.  When I turn it counter clockwise (after the crown "pops out"), the gears don't turn at all.

I've been winding it this way probably hundreds of times by this point and haven't had any luck.  I've tried gently shaking the watching and tapping it against my wrist too.  Nothing seems to get it turning.  When I received the watch, the seconds hand was at exactly 30.  Now it is almost at 32.  I don't know if maybe it powered on for enough time to go two seconds. 

In short, any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to start enjoying my first rep ASAP.

Thanks a million everyone!!

well first off welcome to the fourm, i think i read this same thread at RWI, its seems to me that the movement could have some sort of blockage from a loose screw that fell out, or the balance is seated incorectly, or the hands are touching the glass and preventing the watch from running. As you can see it could be a wide range of things stoping it from running and to be honest the only real way of telling is opening it up and taking a look. I always suggest getting the movt serviced just to have  piece of mind, atleast i always service my movements when i get them. Ive seen some crazy things in these movts that are put together in the rep factories, from WD40 like lube to rusted and broken parts glued together just to make them work. Im sorry to hear your first rep experience was a crappy one, its not always like this it just comes with the territory. 

Thanks for the input.  Do you know how much it should cost roughly to get the movement serviced?  I want to make sure I don't get ripped off.  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Dam. Josh is a stand up guy. First of all contact him and see if he'll cover the repair then send it to MD2020 he is a great Watchsmith and has done work for me exceeding my expectations. Josh may just exchange for a new one and like MD said this is NOT the norm. I've been buying REPS 20yrs and never got a DOA. Best of luck!

That is some bad luck. But unfortunately not uncommon with reps. If you know where these watches come from you will understand that they are assembled under different circumstances than genuine watches. Poor QC to speed up the production and cut costs. If you take a look at my signature you will see how some movements look when they come straight from the factory. Like MD pointed out sometimes completely over oiled but most of the times dirty and dry. Without disassembly impossible to tell. You could send the watch back to Josh but I would advice you to have a local repair guy look at it. As it could be a very small issue like mentioned earlier. That doesn't way up to the hassle and cost of shipping a watch back and forth to China. Or if you decide to keep it you could consider combining it with a service. MD or I could help you out depending on where you are in the world.

So don't de disappointed in reps because with some extra care they will perform on par with a genuine for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1