When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dsn neckyegi project

mellons

I have only held a dsn 52mm egi in my hands once, and thought although impressive it was a little impractical- the height more than the diameter was the dealbreaker at the time.

After seeing a few egis posted here and on hf and getting occasional egi-itis looking at them i re-read one older post and in particular a superb egi build of joe's (neckyzips) with mods to the caseback of a stock dsn egi (removing "lip" on caseback). As with a lot of builds i find myself going back over posts and looking properly at the amazing work done...

Anyway after seeing this I got a rush of blood to the head and put up a wtb for a dsn 52mm egi case. Enabler blueradish dutifully obliged and sent on the egi case straight to joe, who made his considerable skills available for the project.

while re-reading the thread I noticed some comments by clint, who also confirmed to me that he had also removed the upper lip on the dsn case by hand: the plot thickens....

after some research it would appear that no one has ever done both to a dsn case, but gen images suggested that if it was possible this would be a superb mod. Joe went at this like a tiger, and after three days of machining (he has already told me "never again" so dont ask him! lol) here are some shots of the case from "the lab"

case is now considerably slimmer and is now a front-loader (like gen)!!! 3 words.... OMG

images courtesy of joe:

P1080905_zps6f634a46.jpg

P1080904_zpsae23e0a6.jpg

P1080903_zpsf529e0d8.jpg

P1080899_zps49e28730.jpg

P1080901_zps44699348.jpg

P1080900_zps54eac054.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it is only on inspection that i see how much work was needed to get my "simple" requested mods done

in order to remove lip above and below midcase and get bezel sitting on midcase, joe needed to do the following:

taking off the top lip and bottom lip
recess the case back
recess the top of the midcase for the bezel rotation to sit in (bringing the bezel closer to the case)
drilling and tapping the bezel rotation ring for larger screws + making said screws
machining the bezel rotation ring for the crystal to sit into
making the crystal (truly awesome)
internally pressing in of a movment sleeve and machining it to fit the movement (6497)

proper disassembly will be documented- case is now a top-loader for 6497 exact fit!

trial movement in place- perfect fit!

IMG_6617_zps158486bf.jpg

• 2 years later...