When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building a franken 16520

username here

Knowing what I do about precision milling, coupled with the limited market for such a thing, he's really not that far off.

Setup and tooling for this is hard to manage with stringent quality standards. You'd have $15k getting it set up and ready, and then you need to stay on top of it. If he's selling 40-50 cases a year at $1,200-$1,500, he's not making all that much.

As I recall, phong charges 1650. Some have managed to get the gen cases at 1900-2200 range..personally id top up that extra to get the gen case. However its subject to availability

I didn't pay 1650. He should come down substantially from that price for a 16520. Good luck finding a gen in that range too. Anything is possible, but I've never seen that pricing. Maybe back when the market had bottomed out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of I could find a gen case for 1900, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

As it stands, with everything I've found/ordered/acquired, I'll be about $3200 into a head, and I'm guessing I'll be another 600-800 on a gen bracelet.

The only thing rep right now is the case...so I'll be going full-franken if possible.

So I have everything pertaining to the case in-hand.

Gen Bezel, Pushers, Crown and Tube.

Dial, Hands, Movement should be in-hand soon...but I want to get the case squared away first.

The "Phong Case" showed up today, and the pushers threaded up perfectly...the crown tube did not. ::: Frustrated :::

I sent him an email to see what can be done. Right now, I'm thinking I'll have to send the case back to him, but I want to make sure that all my gen parts are used if he's going to put those things on/together for me.

Any ideas? Should I mark stuff with nail polish first before I send it off? (Like the guys at the junk-yard used to do )

Can you use his tube with your crown? I do that often to avoid case/tube fitment issues. Try screwing your gen crown onto his tube. You don't have to mark the parts.. He is honest and won't swap them if that's what you're thinking.

I didn't get his tube. All I purchased was the mid-case and the case-back. I have Gen Pushers, Bezel, Crystal, Tube & Crown. Everything but the tube fit.

He offered to put it all together for me if I send it in. I'm going to FedEX to him today, but wanted to make sure that the Genuine parts I purchased were what was ultimately used. I paid $$$ to make sure I got the best stuff, and that if I ever found a genuine case, I could buy it and not have to worry about my parts not fitting.