When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A collection of PAMs

atomic_doug

I thought I would post a picture of my collection of PAMs since it just grew by one today:

a Noob 292J.  I like it a lot.  The lume is very bright.  The quality is typical Noob, which is to say, excellent.  The strap is, naturally, garbage but I can get a gen black calf easily enough.  (I like the black on black look.)  The crown winds nicely and smoothly.  It screws in with a minimum of fuss.  The pig on the dial is actually a lot more subtle in the flesh than hi-res photos would suggest.  It's really a neat thing to find on the dial rather than being a gimmicky centerpiece of the dial.  The lume is quite strong.  Initially very bright, but dims quickly then sticks around at a readable level for another hour and a half to two hours.

I always liked the Radiomir shape, because it's very comfortable, but never liked the boring designs they tended to come in.  I had a gen 232 a few years ago and sold it because its size was its only feature.  The dial was a great big empty.  The 292 has far more features and details to give depth to an otherwise huge, blank, black canvas.

The others in the lineup are a gen 000, a Noob 29M, and my never-ending tinker-project 5218-201/A...which needs a set of FGD hands...and a Dirk strap...maybe a shark strap.  The 29 is for sale, since I don't wear it and I actually use a G-Shock for my GMT watch needs.  (It also attracts less attention when I'm on travel, which is always a good thing.)

I think maybe my next project will be a PAM 40 or a 36.  Those are nice rare ones.

rsybs1.jpg

The Zero (the gen) is the most versatile, I think.  That's the one I wear the most.

The 201/A comes a close second, because, well...it's awesome, if I don't say so myself...except for the cack hands.  I think it's my favorite, because I did all the work on it myself and for all its flaws, it's fatti con le mani in all the best hack-job traditions of the real (Florentine) Panerai.

I can see this 292 getting a lot of wrist time.  It's very comfortable.  I've got an Asso strap on order from Toro for it, so I can switch up.

I think every Panerai stable needs at least one Radiomir, if not just for the historical value.  The 292 has that, but also the forward-looking ceramic case, as opposed to the 232 (which I used to have) or most of the other stainless steel Rads which are, I think, a little boring.  The Rad chronos are cool, but too thick for my slender wrists.