When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

river 6154 + southy gaposis

mellons

here is a quick-and-dirty mock-up using river's 6154 case set (unmodded).

plan will be to mod case but i want to compare this with heavily modded dsn 6154 case set incoming form necky's first aid hospital!

this will be a super daily beater- nice weight with caseback and well finished out-of-the box.

here is build: ingredients as follows;

river case + solid caseback + plexi
southy gaposis rp dial
athaya high-collar hands + cp mod
roland kemmber seagul 6497
"arillo" strap + elias vintage buckle (sterile)

IMG_6935_zps3981ba83.jpg

IMG_6934_zpsb30b56c6.jpg

IMG_6933_zpse2bca572.jpg

IMG_6932_zps1b6cc8fa.jpg

IMG_6931_zps23f38848.jpg

IMG_6930_zps3ead1ec7.jpg

IMG_6929_zps103112f1.jpg
Edited by mellons

I like that strap mate....the colour isnt for my taste TBH but the style and shape I really like..

So what do you think of the plexi? I really didnt like mine so swapped for DSNs..although its too high...I still aint got round to reducing its height !! Too scared !! ;)

I like the resin finsh in the dial....and you cant beat a nice bit of gap :)

Very sweet very tasty.... wear it well mate :)

thanks guys

tbh i am torn between the two main variants on this case (there seems to be quote a variety in the gens).

i think for display caseback athaya's super thin engraved caseback with low single-piece bezel and low plexi is the way to go (plexi will have no vertical sides at all). This makes for a really nice thin "dress" watch- fantasy build with a nice older molly or cortebert looks great.

for solid caseback i actually like this chunky one (slightly thicker than gen) and the slightly taller plexi. I have dsn's one here and has a lower dome (it is also very nice)- this one seems to be half-way between dsn's low one and a proper very curved tropic. For a daily beater this is the way to go- asian 6497 etc. with a nice bit of weight. I will probably end up with two as I will end-up changing one build around  etd.. (lol)

i have a heavily modded reshaped dsn "6154" incoming which will be interesting to see how it compares to this one. Am resisting the urge to take out the files on this.....

That looks like it will be really nice when finished!  River's case actually looks pretty nice without mods.  I have Athaya's 6154 case, and kept his thick display caseback with the 2-piece bezel and Q24.  It is definitely on the thick side for a 6154, but wears pretty comfortably.  Perhaps if I build another 6154, it will be a thin version like you suggested!  Will you post photos of the modded DSN case to compare?

I am with the 'Thin' vote mate....

Dont see so many and its a more classic fusion of new and old... IMHO

Plus it gets you out of that River plexi..for me it ruins the gaposis.. but thats just me...