When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I want to build a 5512 or milsub tudor

2scoops

I have never even opened a case or changed a battery, so maybe I am diving in head first but I think I have ability to pull it off.

First off let me say I am not interested in a perfect copy, in fact I would like to keep the dial pretty sterile, I just want to capture that vintage tudor/rolex look. I have never ordered parts and my google-fu is weak so I'm having a hard time tracking down everything I think I might need. I know I need some specialty tools, but I think I can buy/borrow most of what I will need. I need the watch to be able to get wet, so I will need to address that when the time comes. Sure I could walk into my local Rolex authorized dealer and buy one, but that's zero fun. I've always enjoyed things I have done on my own, It's almost as if it has a soul when it's finished. 

I am having a hard time searching the forums, I'm sure this topic has been beat to death over time. I am not asking someone to do the research for me, just get the ball rolling so that I know what I need to be looking for. 

I am in the South Louisiana area, If there are any members near me. 

Thank you in advance! You all have a great site. 

I did a little poking around and it seems that Tudor dials are commonly available. Which is perfect for me, I love Tudors and no date to mess with. That is the direction I want to go. Now I need a case and a good reliable movement. I would like to do a quality piece of glass, perhaps even a dome crystal.

That's a lot of watch for $109, I would still like to learn how to put on together.

I'm starting to like the idea of a nice Tudor dial if I can find one that's old and well used. I wear a 1976 datejust daily that looks like it has been though a war, and I really like that about the watch. I wouldn't even mind a case with some scratches as long as they have been earned.